No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you tell me what this is? Is it Nazeing?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline avisk

• Members
Can you tell me what this is? Is it Nazeing?
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »
Hello - I am new to this forum, and I know nothing about glass!  But I am learning, and have found the messages here very interesting.  I was always a pottery person but recently got interested in glass after a visit to an exhibition at The Country Seat at Nettlebed and more recently seeing an amazing collection of Whitefriars in a shop window while travelling on a bus in Reading and leaping off the bus at the next stop to dash back for a look!

Recently I bought this vase in a charity shop in Reading.  I know nothing about it except that I really love it, and have no idea if it is worth anything more than the £3 I paid for it (if it is I promise to pop something in their collection box next time I am in there!)

It is 5 1/2 inches high, 6 inches wide at the top, and weighs 776g

I would be grateful for help in identifying this vase.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Can you tell me what this is?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:58:48 AM »
It looks like Nazeing to me.  Andy McConnells book 20th Century Art Glass, page 182.   :)

Oh ps: Welcome to the GMB   :D
I am not a man

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
Hi,
and have a look here, at Nigel Bensons site,

http://www.20thcentury-glass.com/glass/english/nazeing/nazeing-intro.htm

and use search facility on here, (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=search) and see more info
on Nazeing.

Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline avisk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »
Thanks very much for such prompt and helpful replies.  I will certainly be following up those links.

Can you tell me how old it is?

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
Hi avisk,
if its Nazeing, it would be 1930s.
Maybe a moderator could add Nazeing? to the header, so others may confirm.
Cheers
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:44:28 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the GMB avisk

This is similar to the items from the 'Elwell' find.

For those not in the know, about two years ago one of the Grand daughters of Major Herbert Elwell, wholesaler/retailer of, amongst others, Nazeing glass, sold the remainder of her grandfathers stock. The major part went to the Nazeing Museum of British Domestic Glass, and largely remains in store. Most art glass in this cache was similar to the known and documented Nazeing from pre, and post war times, however it was not as well made, nor was it consistant in sizing, unlike the documented items. It is possible that these were the pieces that were designed by Elwell, but there is no documentary proof of this. These pieces all had snapped off (broken) pontils, whereas known Nazeing, in the main does not.

As a result of the 'find' it is now believed that these pieces are Nazeing, but are not attributable to either to the pre, or post war glass from the the factory's own archive. Therefore, the proposition is that there may have been three periods of Nazeing art glass, the third being the 'Elwell' glass, albeit made by Nazeing. As a result the dateing is unfortunately indeterminant.

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »
 ::)
Just to emphasise,

...not as well made  ... nor was it consistant in sizing ... It is possible no documentary proof

As a result of the 'find' it is now believed that these pieces are Nazeing

but are not attributable to either to the pre, or post war glass from the the factory's own archive.

With all due respect Unknown is better!

Offline avisk

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:52:32 PM »
Thanks again to everyone for the information.  It has been very helpful and interesting. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand