No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: orrefors vase. artist? period? new to the world of glass!  (Read 1760 times)

Offline hunterart

• Members
orrefors vase. artist? period? new to the world of glass!
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:26:54 AM »
Hi, I found this excellent message board and forum while surfing the net trying to identify the artist who made this piece of orrefors glass which I found whilst on a drive through the Snowy Mountains of Australia. The piece has been used as a vase and shows wear marks to base indicating to me that it has perhaps been around for a while? The best I can make of the etched details to base are as follows: orrofors op? 38 12.118

My research has turned up little so far but I am also most interested to find out also the period/ date in which it was made.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Christopher

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: orrefors vase. artist? period? new to the world of glass!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
 Hi   NU 3812 is a vase just like yours by Nils Landberg 1960 , but i dont understand the op on yours are you sure its not o/f which is the abbrieviation for Orrefors, the heights given are 150 - 180 - 230 .  jp - could the 118 be NU -

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:37:30 PM »
Hi:

I'm assuming that the blue that shows in the photograph isn't in the piece itself but is picked up from the surroundings. I see the writing as Orrefors of  3812 118. Did Landberg have a designer number? I wondered if the last three figures were /18, with 18 being the designer number. But Ruding in Orrefors doesn't have a number code for Landberg, but neither is 18 used by anybody else.

My bet is that it's a Landberg piece with idiosyncratic coding.

A nice start to a Scandinavian collection. I confess that I'm occasionally tempted to  collect only Scandinavian charcoal grey pieces. There's enough areound to make it a life's hobby.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline hunterart

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:06:12 AM »
Dear David and johnphillip,
I have googled Nils Landberg for images and found very similar vases in the same style.

Thank you for offering such astute advice. I think glass is starting go grow on me and I am now keeping a keen eye out for it on my travels!
It is a lovely thing to live with, just need to maybe invest in a few good ref books and grow the library.

Kind Regards,
Christopher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand