No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Forged Signatures On Okra appearing on Ebay and at Auctioneers in the Midlands  (Read 16959 times)

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
  • Simon Bruntnell Freelance Photographer
    • United Kingdom
    • www.northlightphotography.co.uk
Mike I was passing on another story. You seem a little touchy I myself have a very large bowl Richard gave me when he worked here because I ask if I could have it because he was using it to keep the door open. I assume Richard is learning a hard lesson at the moment. I suggest you contact Will at Fieldings to tell him whats going on because they will details of the buyers and sellers and I asumme Fieldings will not be too best pleased either that works going through there door is ending up like this. It's plain forgery and a matter for the police.
Simon Bruntnell (photographer to the Poor & Infamous)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline scimiman

• Members
Simon,
I'm sorry but you have completely lost me. :huh:
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline simon bruntnell

• Members
  • Simon Bruntnell Freelance Photographer
    • United Kingdom
    • www.northlightphotography.co.uk
Mike, if what your saying that this work was never meant for sale, but it now has been. Also now with a false signature added it's no longer seconds glass but now being passed off into the main stream as signed off work. Its bad news for Richard and it's illegal who ever is doing it is breaking the law. They are passing it of as the real deal. It dilutes the market and makes buyers wary, with this sort of goings on. They should be stopped.
Simon Bruntnell (photographer to the Poor & Infamous)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Simon - I think you're misunderstanding what's being said here - the glass are originals, not seconds or fakes, they were sold at auction recently and have since re-surface on the market with the addition of dodgy signatures.

I think that's right isn't it Scimiman?

Offline scimiman

• Members
Hooray :hiclp:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
But Pip, Mike said in his first post at the top...

95% of the Okra sold at Fieldings was in fact seconds or pieces that Richard was not happy with

I can see where Simon's coming from - he is saying that this was unsigned glass from Okra which was given away and not meant to be sold - and that it's now being sold with added fake signatures and that is wrong. I agree, it is wrong.

I'm not honestly sure what Fieldings could do about it other than supply the details of who bought it to Okra, and then perhaps Richard could take up the matter with the police as the signatures are fraudulent.

Meanwhile, having the position made public here is helpful. What would also be useful would be details of the pieces from Fieldings auction catalogue with images if they are available and if Fieldings would allow them to be made public. Mike is that a possibility do you think?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
I'm not honestly sure what Fieldings could do about it other than supply the details of who bought it to Okra, and then perhaps Richard could take up the matter with the police as the signatures are fraudulent.

I completely understand Mike's concerns. There is no doubt that this behaviour is outrageous and unethical. But although I'm not a lawyer, I think this would be a very difficult case to prove and I would be surprised if the police showed much interest or indeed understood the ramifications as we see them. It would be different if the fraudulent signature were, say, Tiffany. To prove fraud, you would need to show that the buyer had paid considerably in excess of the value because of the signature. I think there are a lot of complicated issues here but I'm not sure that it will help if I were to elaborate, except to give the perpetrator ammunition.

Meanwhile, having the position made public here is helpful. What would also be useful would be details of the pieces from Fieldings auction catalogue with images if they are available and if Fieldings would allow them to be made public. Mike is that a possibility do you think?

The more we can do to ensure that people are aware of the difference between correct and incorrect signatures, the better.

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline scimiman

• Members
Hi Anne and Adam
Here is a link to Fieldings auction site showing the results and details of each lot in that sale.

http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/results.asp?menuItemOn=2&start=400&resultsSalesID=72

Richard has always found it hard to say no to anyone so its not surprising that there are so many of these unsigned pieces out there. He received no money for them but didn't expect them to appear on the secondary market. However people do pass away and then the families move in for the divide and share routine and so its not surprising to see these pieces rearing their heads.

Fieldings couldn't give a rats A**e once they have their money as to what happens to them.
One thing to remember is that General Antique dealers and auction houses deal with thousands of different items and even with all the reference books and the Internet they cant be experts on every item. If however you use a dedicated dealer who deals in one type of article be it glass, furniture, clocks etc you can be 99.99999% sure you are buying what you are after. If at a later date its found not to be what both of you expected then your money is safe as I don't know of any dedicated dealer that would not refund your money. A few years ago I brought, From Fieldings a piece of Okra with Loetz signed on the base and declared as Loetz in the catalogue, it was clear to me that this was a piece of Okra and it goes to show how easy it is even for a so called expert auction house that they can get it wrong.

The people that do this sort of thing are despicable and they are only in it for the short haul, its down to the rest of us to be vigilant and bring to the attention to such forums as this what is happening. Their actions bring a cost down on all honest dealers no matter what they trade in as the public trust us to be honest and to know our stuff but when a member of the general public has their fingers burnt we all take the back lash as their general feeling of distrust are given over to all of us.

In the next few weeks I am going to put on my website examples of fake Okra signatures I have come across over the years and also to show examples of the genuine signatures which have changed over the years.

The police? Its just not worth it. They cant be bothered to investigate Millions of £'s of credit card fraud so they are hardly likely to get themselves involved in this type of thing.

I hope this now clarifies the situation a little better.
Mike www.abgfabglass.co.uk

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link. A number of pieces are described as "unfinished" but many more as trials. Are these all Richard's giveaways or could you let us have the respective lot numbers?

In the next few weeks I am going to put on my website examples of fake Okra signatures I have come across over the years and also to show examples of the genuine signatures which have changed over the years.

This is a tricky conundrum. I can see that you want to inform the public, which is admirable. Have you considered that by showing the genuine signatures like this against the fakes, you could also be explaining to a potential forger exactly how to recreate a signature so that it looks genuine?

The forger could be out there reading this board, with a load of "stock" ready to sign, rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of free advice how to make his forgeries look even more genuine.

I have to admit that I don't have the answer to this.  :(

Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline scimiman

• Members
Hi Adam
The terms Unfinished and Trial are purely Fieldings terminology.
I think the term Unfinished applies to pieces that are clearly broken pieces like a vase which has been cut down and ground. Then there are Perfume Bottles which have not got their stoppers.

As for the term Trial you would have to ask Fieldings.

Richard is notoriously lazy at signing his work. His thinking is and I quote 'You can see if its made by me' In all the years I have dealt with Richard I have always got him to sign fully all his pieces and to include the word Trial if applicable.
I am almost certain the person who was to blame for these forged signature pieces knows that we know who it is and has stopped putting pieces out to auction on Ebay and home counties Auction Houses. Richard is one of the nicest people I have ever known and its alien to Richard that anyone would want to do this.

I do feel that Auction Houses have a part to play in all of this by actioning 'Due Diligence' on any of the items they sell.
I know they sell thousands of pieces in a sale but that is their job and as far as I can see they are only doing part of it, selling and taking the money. How many times have you seen an auction catalogue 'Signed and dated' on a lot. Well what good is that? Its just that little bit harder to actually put down what the sig and date is. Its just pure laziness and cant be bothered.

I think the same as you with regard to posting of Fake & Genuine signatures which is why I haven't as yet published them. I am of the thought that it is still very difficult even when you know how a piece is signed to actually do it and the people that commit this crime aren't that great at the detail. Its still up for more thought before I publish anything on this subject.

One last thing 'BUYER BEWARE'

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand