No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amethyst wavy ribbed posy bowl.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Amethyst wavy ribbed posy bowl.
« on: September 28, 2005, 05:30:42 PM »
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/8d68666e.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/2bfceee3.jpg

This is similar in shape to Cathy's posy bowls featured in a recent thread "Nazeing, not nazeing or puzzle?"   Apologies for being a Luddite and unable to copy the link here.  However, mine has a wavy ribbed pattern.  It has a large polished pontil mark.  I'm sure I've seen one of these somewhere before but can't remember the maker.  Can anyone help please?   Also, presumably there would be a flower block to go with it, so what would it look like?  Does anyone have one with its original block?  It seems to have quite a bit of age with wear on the base.  So last question, when would this likely to have been made?

Many thanks :P

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:39:47 AM »
Anne,

Quite a few companies used the optic wave effects - Whitefriars and one of the Webb companies* come to mind, but I'm sure someone in the US would have made optic wave patterns too. The WF wave is more like a swag than a wave.

Oh, look here's a mate for it. The seller doesn't know who made it either, but has also been told "it mite [sic] be webb".

http://www.trocadero.com/glassman/items/306477/item306477store.html#item   **

Not much help, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about can come along and clarify!

Cathy.

*Yes, I didn't realise there were more than one either, and now I don't know whether the optic waves were Thomas Webb of Burmese glass fame or one of t'other Webbs!

** How do you shorten the links? I know you can't just use HTML code.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 12:54:54 AM »
Actually I've just looked up the Jackson WF book and on page 70 there's an illustration from a Thomas Webb catalogue from 1930-1931, showing a toilet water set ("pitcher suite"). The wave on it is clearly more swag-like than in your posy bowl also.

So, back to square one. Sorry!

Cathy

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 08:35:37 AM »
I can't help Anne, but what a drop dead gorgeous colour!   :D  :D
I am not a man

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 10:26:23 AM »
Many thanks Cathy for your comments which are always appreciated and you have been really helpful :P   I checked out the link you gave.  Its always great to see an identical piece.   Interesting that it was listed in items pre 1920.  I wonder how they would know it was that if they didn't know the maker?  Was this a popular design around that time I wonder?  I love a good mystery - in retrospect of course, once it has been solved :roll:

p.s. I hadn't realised that there was more than one Webb company :oops: .  How inconsiderate of them to have the same name! :P  

Quote from: "Max"
I can't help Anne, but what a drop dead gorgeous colour!   :D  :D

It looks gorgeous on the windowsill as I type this, with the sun (inbetween the rain!) shining through it.  I love this colour.  Just wish I could wear it.  Makes me look pale and ill.  Yellow is another colour I can't wear.  It reflects onto my skin making me look jaundiced :roll:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 11:48:34 AM »
Quote from: "Anne E.B."
Yellow is another colour I can't wear.  It reflects onto my skin making me look jaundiced :roll:

Be reassured, Anne, that very few complexions can wear yellow successfully.  Really dark brown (commonly called 'black'  :twisted: ) skin can look fantastic in it.  IMHO not many others do.  

I reckon you probably could could wear purple, as long as you keep it away from your face.  

I only recently noticed that if I wear creams and beiges now (with rapidly greying hair  :( ) I just disappear into the background!  :(  (Who said that?   :shock:  :wink: )

I don't know why, but I always think of purple glass as being more modern.  (By this I suppose I mean what I call modern - as in '30's or later :roll: ) Am I right in this, or will someone now come up with dozens of Victorian examples to prove me wrong? (Again!  :(  )

Leni
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand