No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Millefiori vase  (Read 1650 times)

Offline david31162

• Members
Millefiori vase
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
Could anyone help with a possible age for this please? I was sold this as an 'old'  piece, late C19th is that likely?
Any information about the possible company would be grat to know. It is 20cm high and has a rough,snapped off pontil .Thanks
David
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/david-dj/IMG_2846.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/david-dj/IMG_2845.jpg

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Millefiori vase
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
I don't know who did the vase, so I cannot give an exact age. It doesn't look like 19th Century millefiori. I get more of the feel of 1950s-1970s, but my feeling could be wrong.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
Thank you Anita,
I din't think it was so old either. It was only the base that made me wonder. I've seen similar bases on lots of older glass..but it a technique that could have been used at any time.

David

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
I would agree with Anita...... Seems reasonably contemporary....  The execution of the handles and the feet seem much newer than earlier.....    Also, in the images at least, the colors look more contemporary. Hard to say without handling it though.... 

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:56:40 PM »
Could we please see a few closer images of the millefiori?

I am particlarly interested in what seems to be a single large green-coated cane just right of centre in the main vase photo. If I am right, I think this may be one of the "face canes" that had been discussed in the Board some time ago.

KevinH

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 12:24:36 PM »
Sorry for the delay I've been away for a while. My camera is a bit tired at present so I hope these are ok.
Let me know if I missed the one you were interested in.

David

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
Thanks for the excellent photos of canes.

The one I was wondering about is not a "face cane". Although my experience of Murano canes is quite limited, I am sure they are not 19th century. I think they are modern Moretti (Effetre) millefiori slices that have been sold by the bag-full for some time and are still available from several sources.

The vase may be mid-20th century Murano but could also be from many other makers around the world and much more modern.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand