No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please ID this Footed vintage Paperweight  (Read 1177 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help please ID this Footed vintage Paperweight
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:27:14 PM »
Any help in identifying this footed paperwight would be very much appreciated, looks to be quite old, height 6.5" or 17.5cm, diameter of weight about 3.75" or 9.5cm, it has a slightly flattened top back and where its joined to foot, weight 1032 gm, under a UV light the footed base and the weight area glow quite green. Hopefully the pictures are Ok

Thanks for looking

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help please ID this Footed vintage Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:46:28 PM »
Nice one, Roy!

There is a similar item pictured on page 91 of John Simmonds' book, Paperweights from Great Britain 1930-2000, under the section for Strathearn. However, I have tested that item under both longwave and shortwave UV and the results suggest it was not made in the Strathearn years.

The book only shows a profile view. A view showing the canes in the dome is not so good as all are "smudged" (see below). But I have examined the canes from below, (they are set high in the dome), and they are early Ysart of the type seen typically in pre-1956 Vasart pieces. Your item, Roy, also has canes that all tie in with the pre-1956 work.

My conclusion, so far, is that these "mantle ornaments" were made by Salvador Ysart sometime in the mid-1940s to mid-1950s. But I am also keeping an open mind about them being 1930s.

Here is an oblique view of the one in the book (it's in my keeping now):
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Help please ID this Footed vintage Paperweight
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »
Hello Kevin

Thank you very much for the ID, paperweights are not really my area but I always keep a look out for ones that may be of better quality, My wife and I ruled out many of the better makers but Ysart was  not one we even considered possibly because we thought it may be have been a little older

Thanks again for your help

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand