No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso Horn Vase -  (Read 2163 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Seguso Horn Vase -
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:56:25 AM »
I have just bought this vase on ebay for approx $US53 and although it will not leave my house in my lifetime, I am wondering if this is an OK price to pay for one of these.

It is about 6" long but the work in it is exquiste. If one of you tell me it was made in China last week I will go outside and shoot myself.

It has both labels, a generic Murano one, and a Archimedes Seguso one. Is this normal?
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Seguso Horn Vase -
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
i fully agree you paid peanuts for a top piece and hope you'll manage to find a second one as a pair would be unbeatable dinner table ornament.  It is quite good to have both the manufacturer's ID and the generic Murano label - but in reality, these are not needed. The piece itself is the signature.  Horn of plenty indeed...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
Gorgeous vase! Actually all three labels are Archimede Seguso labels. The two red ones are their normal ones and the white one is the one they used to write stock numbers. You can be triple sure who made this one.  :)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
Quite the piece for $53.........  I'll take one too please!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:45:47 AM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: Beautiful...
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »
Dont get me wrong, I am very pleased to have this piece, particularly as I think I am becoming a 'Segusofile' but - - - having seen that fountain nothing seems the same anymore.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:23:19 PM »
That may be an appropriate situation where " Ignorance is Bliss" , or should I say in this case "Ignorance was Bliss"   

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
I checked Leslie Pina's Archimede Seguso this morning. She has vases like yours listed on pages 204-205. She gives a value of $300-400 for the 6" vase. So, yes, you got a good deal. :thup:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:28:27 AM »
Thanks Anita - I just dont believe figures in books as being correct. I also find it hard to believe that a 6" horn vase that he made many examples of, is worth $300.

I am excited about Ivo's suggestion and the prospect of finding another at a reasonable price to make a pair over the next 5 years. I cannot see me paying $300 for one though.

I am having a bit of a push at the moment to upgrade my collection with more Seguso and less 'I like that' pieces. I have 5 Seguso pieces and I really love them all.

So I will most probably get rid of some of my other stuff and concentrate on Seguso.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
Things don't sell for book value much these days. eBay has changed things a lot. It has created a lot more collectors, but the prices are usually much lower than book value. And stores that can't compete with eBay won't sell many of the more common collectibles. Sometimes I think we should come out with an eBay price guide.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand