No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a palm tree?  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is this a palm tree?
« on: September 29, 2005, 04:04:40 PM »
Hi, i've got this paperweight which I no nothing about, period.

http://tinypic.com/e5l1k5.jpg
http://tinypic.com/e5l7ax.jpg

Unfortunetly, it has been badly treat and is scratched in places. I bought it because it has an interesting cracked glass effect.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Is this a palm tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 04:52:49 PM »
Hi Tigerchips,

I don't think you will get a specific id on this weight. But it will be good if you do! It's of a type that was produced in quantity in Germany, Silesia and Bohemia / Czechoslovakia sometime from 1900 to 1930.

Judging by the likely size of the folds in the net curtains, I estimate that the the weight is about 3 1/2 to 4 inch in diameter and almost as high. That would fit with much of the German / Bohemian etc work.

There's something about the way that the orange / yellow "bits" are set that makes me wonder whether it might even be from another country and perhaps a bit more recent. But that's only a feeling and I have no firm evidence to back it up.

Is it a Plam Tree? Might be. But most designs of this type are called "flowers", even if the petals are thin and do look more like a tree!

As for the "cracked effect", it is good that you like this. But whether it was intended as part of the design is open to question. I suspect it's a result of poor temperature control causing bubbling within much of the inner surface when it received the final gather to enclose the flower / tree.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is this a palm tree?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 09:40:24 AM »
Thanks for you help KevH. You were right about the size.

It is a shame that somebody has been using it as a bowling ball or door stopper.  :lol:
http://tinypic.com/e6q9zq.jpg

Or perhaps a nut cracker.  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand