No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone help identify these little flowers .....ID:Likely to be Webb  (Read 3719 times)

Offline jadegmh

• Members
Hi All,
I wonder if anyone can help identify these pretty little flowers ... they appear to be ruby/cranberry glass and are about 4 inches tall and an inch and a half across the tops. Both are push-mounted into a silver plated leaf base. Any help will be really appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Can anyone help identify these little flowers .....
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 08:54:54 PM »
I vote table ornaments

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:56:44 PM »
My first thought was open salt cellar or dip.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 06:43:45 AM »
Quote from: "RH.1"
My first thought was open salt cellar or dip.

I had a dream!  Yes, blimey, the boards are intruding on my sleeping now.  :shock:  :shock:   I might concur with RH1...could these be individual salts?  How fabulous!
I am not a man

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 05:05:09 PM »
Just a thought, but do you think that they might have been wall mounted ? Then the two curly bits of metal would make a bit more sense - maybe around a mirror or the like.

Taylog1

Offline jadegmh

• Members
Hi Taylog ...
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 05:11:16 PM »
I had thought that maybe but there is leaf detail on the underside. good thought though
And thanks to all for the help :o)))))

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
Could they be napkin holders?

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
There are Carnival Glass hair tidies too. We usually call them "Hair Receivers". My understanding is that the collected hair was sometimes used to stuff pillows or cushions - but mostly it was used to make hair "ratts". These were sort of small padded bags (a hairnet or similar would be on the outside), full of one's hair, that were used to make the hair appear more bouffant by padding it under the woman's hairstyle. As it was one's own hair, it looked natural.

Saved all that backcombing! I believe ratts are available today - possibly made differently though.

Glen

PS I think the little flowers are posies - maybe to be arranged on a table as individual floral elements, and possibly to match a similarly designed larger centrepiece.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline heartofglass

• Members
ruby glass flower bowls
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 01:49:56 PM »
Hi! These ruby pieces look like flowers bowls, or posy holders, to me-definitely Victorian era,& the distinctive petal shaped rim is apparently a registered design of Thomas Webb & sons,according to Cyril Manley's book Decorative Victorian Glass.They are very pretty,& would have been used as table decorations. Victorian art glass is my favourite type,& I feel pretty confident in this attribution.Enjoy these lovely items!

These items aren't hair tidies,& are definitely posy/flower holders.Wrong shape for hair tidies,as far as I know.Hair tidies typically had a rim which curved inwards,like the incurved crimp on a rose bowl(U.S definition of rose bowl.that is). Some hair tidies were cut glass with a silver lid,the lid having a hole in the centre for putting the hair into.Recently saw one like this on Ebay.This would have been part of a matching dressing table set-brushes,comb,lidded jars for lotions,etc. It does seem odd to save hair,but the Victorians also made hair jewellery-lockets with carefully arranged locks of hair inside with a photo,usually as a memento of a deceased loved one.The Victorian era was a curious mix of the sentimental & the macabre! Marinka.

All the best, Marinka.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand