No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars or Murano? id please....  (Read 684 times)

Offline Elmwood

• Members
Whitefriars or Murano? id please....
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »
Hi everyone,

We acquired 5 pieces of what we hope are WF's yesterday. (For once it wasn't at a car boot, but a chappie who just happened to be touting his collection to raise some cash at an antique centre!) :'(

After lengthy trawling of the net yesterday, we are still unsure with 3 of the pieces.  I will post each individually over the next few days in the hope that one some kind collector can confirm whether they are Whitefriar pieces .

We do intend either selling or exchanging all 5 of them, and should anyone be interested then please email me.  We would prefer Mdina or Sklo/Czech.

The first item for id, is a freeform/organic flame red bowl, which has quite a few scratches to the interior

It measures 7.5" x 10.5" (lip to lip), weighs 1.8Kg, and is the base what you would call "a polished out pontil"?
( I read on the SF site it is their trademark?)

Any assistance would be very much appreciated...... Many thanks Sharron & Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Whitefriars or Murano? id please....
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »
I read on the SF site it is their trademark?)

Not a trademark, but simply sign of quality finished glass.  Not all glass with a polished pontil mark is Whitefriars (as they'll also tell you on www.whitefriars.com:) :)

Nice bowl anyway, and one that's more difficult to spot as WF imho.  I'd rather like one like that.  :)

I am not a man

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
Nice Hogan bowl ive had them in amber and green never found a ruby one there is also a small one with stem and foot they are delightful . jp :thup:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Elmwood

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:08:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Thankyou so much for all the great info.

With Emmis link I can now find my way around the cats, ;) and think I have managed to Id the 2nd of the 3 pieces, which I will still post separately.

I agree with you both, it is delightful, looks mighty fine on my windowsill..... but it was Mikes purchase and we prefer to increase our collection in other areas.  We are open to reasonable offers- (Max)

The 4th and 5th piece are a  Pewter "Coffin vase", and a ruby red "Tankard" which I will be listing on ebay soon.

I feel a little more relaxed about our purchases now, thought it was a bit of a gamble, but looks like it may have been a good move.....

Thanks to all you wise and helpful glass lovers

Sharron x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand