No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Fish Vase info Please  (Read 3065 times)

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
Mdina Fish Vase info Please
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:02:01 PM »
Hi everyone,
                   I have a Fish Vase and need some help dating it.. I think it is early 70s but post Harris. I have Mark Hills
book on Mdina glass and was wondering if anyone knows about the colour patterning of this vase often refered to as
"seaweed" the vase looks quite early shape wise its shoulders are quite rounded and there is no Mdina mark on the base.
any help or comments gratefully accepted. Thanks Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina Fish Vase info Please
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »
As nobody else has replied I will have a go....

I only have the same book as you for reference but, as far as I know the use of the term 'seaweed' is (like many others e.g. 'axe head') an internet term that somehow takes on a life of it's own and then is repeated ad infinitum (there is probably a thesis in this phenomena). I only know this colourway as 'blue green'.
The shape I would agree (again using Mark Hill's book as reference) would be post 1972, more angular and less rounded, as to precisely when I am afraid I am clueless (a familiar state of affairs). I do not know when Mdina stopped making these, if at all.

A lovely vase taking considerable skill to make, I tend to think a few items from Mdina always look good displayed together.

If you get bored of it let me know...... (just joking).

John.

An extra note, an item being unsigned is no indication of date or production period, many items were unsigned for a wide variety of reasons.

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:49:28 AM »
Rons your man at www.artiusglass.co.uk
Regards Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »
Hi Paul & John,
You're both right in my opinion.
There's some question as to when the squatter, lumpier Fish with more sharply angled wing bases were first made, but this is not one of them. Certainly post-Harris, certainly not too long afterwards.
As regards closer dating - sometime you just can't tell!
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand