No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signed ashtray possibly marc newson or nowson ???? any info greatfully recieved  (Read 6514 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
me again, i picked this up at a car boot 2 weeks ago (i really should stop buying glass just because its signed, especially when i dont know who it is...projects that clutter my house lol)
Ok very nice quality glass ashtray, looks quite 1970's in style, signiature looks to me like mark newson or marc nowson ??? any info would be great ive searched a couple of variations but cant find anything under the names
many thanks
jonchellycain

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
It's always handy to use our Search facility when you have some information to go on.   ;)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7095.msg60183.html#msg60183

I am not a man

Offline Martyn K

• Members
Just a few points...

We sold one of these on ebay in February this year, and I've seen at least two others on ebay in the last 12 months (without specifically searching for them) so it isn't three years since the last one on ebay.

The signature isn't "carved hand script"... despite some online claims that it is.... it's an acid etched or sand blasted facsimile signature.

I understand they were originally designed for the 'Coast' restaurant in London circa 1995. I think I read somewhere that they were going to be some sort of special plastic but there were production complications, but you should check all these details if you want to include them as I'm just writing from memory.!!

There's a photo of the Coast restaurant here with green versions of the ashtrays on the tables: http://mydeco.com/buy-the-look/1585/

A google search with the words "coast", "urchin" or "blend" may turn up some more info and examples.

Best of luck with the sale.

Offline vinmac

• Members
It's always handy to use our Search facility when you have some information to go on.   ;)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7095.msg60183.html#msg60183

this ash tray was used in Coast restaurant but the one you have is a different color I have one and it is bright green.

it is an australian designer called marc newson very famous

Mod: email address removed from post to prevent harvesting by spammers

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Welcome to the board but please don't put your email address in it's correct format, as it will get harvested by spambots.

Offline vinmac

• Members
Hi

thanks for email advise there is also a plastic one which I have. The one with the etched signature must be a later design done after the business closed.

Vince

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Called the Blend Ashtray apparently, 1995:
Link to Marc Newson's website showing this item
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Hi all managed to pick up another one yesterday morning, unfortunitly it has 2 small nibbles on the base rim but still couldnt turn it down for 50p.. ;D
This one is a beautiful electric blue
http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/14/37/17/66/100_7120.jpg
Also just realised its almost 18 months to the day from the last one

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand