No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 LARGE vases I'd love to put maker's names to....  (Read 2343 times)

Lyn (4gotten login!)

2 LARGE vases I'd love to put maker's names to....
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:38:08 AM »
Hi guys, on the blag for info again!

THIS monster came into my hands at the weekend, it's approx 11" high & of high quality ruby glass. The base shows signs of age, and has a concave polished pontil.

It's a gorgeous piece & completely dominates any space! Has anyone seen one before? The neck reminds me vaguely of Stennett-Willson (I should be so lucky) but really I'm stuck!

Apologies for the colour in the photography of this next piece, I
couldn't get the flash to go off because of overhead fluorescents - I'll get some sunny shots up later.

I haven't measured it exactly, sorry, but it stands 14-16" high, is in a muted kingfisher blue, and I just found it breath-taking. Although the bubbles differ in size, there seems too much control in them to call them 'random'.

From its form I'd guess it to be from the first half of C20th, as it's rather classical in its shape rather than Modern. I wondered if it was perhaps an exhibition piece, and hoped that one of you might have seen a picture somewhere! Any thoughts whatsoever as to its origins are most Welcome.

The trails are superbly formed, as is the whole thing. It cost £60, but I had a gut feeling that it might be something a bit different. BBL with better photos, cheers all

Lyn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:01:05 AM »
Hi Lyn

The pontils on both are very similar, slightly raised then made concave

I don't think they are connected - I think they are earlier than you think 1900s to 1930s latest

The large ruby vase is really interesting and so well crafted, it reminds me of a flambé glass that C Noke may have designed – I think he did can anyone remember the factory (I don’t mean Doulton) - I think it's British and by a good factory, I'd love to hear what Frank and Ivo think of this one

The large green vase is beautiful - the trailing is called peacock trailing and is very British - the bubbles and inclusions are amazing, the shape and form are very Nouveau and again it's all hand made

Stuart or Powell made vases like these but I don't see anything with all these bubbles and from the close ups (their stuff was clear with blue purple or green peacock strapping), inclusions - is that right? I can see bits of stuff in the glass

Maybe WMF or a good Bohemian factory - well worth £60.00

I will have a look around for you

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 06:52:48 AM »
The red one: nice colour, no idea who made it - perhaps Polish or Swedish (Reijmyre). The bottom finish is a little ehrm untypical. It has been made in a mould, the piece has not been finished on a pontil rod and yet the maker felt the need to grind the bottom. Means it was not straight or stable - which is strange.

The green lilac vase: very nice item, well designed and executed, definitely a quality maker. Could be from Belgium (Braine-le-Comte, Gobbe Hocquemiller, Art-et-Verre), from Italy (Empoli) or from the UK (Powell made similar things, didn't he?) - just throwing a few suggestions into the ring here  :D

Offline tubitha

• Members
Large Vase
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:14:18 PM »
Hi there

Just noticed this string and that one of the vases is exactly like one we have had for ages but again cannot put a name to.

Ours is amber in colour not green lilac with the same bubbles etc same size 12 inches with wear to the base and a broken pontil which as been ground off a little.

Did we come to any conclusion on this one as I would really like to know as well?  Not likely to be an exhibition piece though I would have thought if there are two.

Bit of a coincidence though!

Carol

LynW

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 10:34:58 AM »
Sorry for the delay, had a little break, but as promised some smaller, better photographs, taken in natural light. I find it very interesting that a second piece in a different colour has come to light - I'd love to know if you came to a conclusion....

I've tried to show important features - such as the rim, peacock trails & foot in as much detail as possible, these often being the giveaweays when all else fails! I hope these images are more manageable - I've kept them as small as reasonably possible.

BTW - still also very interested in the identity of the large red piece. There is so much modern glass which some sellers try to artificially "age" - but I believe this piece is probably at least 20 or 30 years old.

As a quick aside, I was in TK Maxx the other day - they're selling glass with genuine Murano stickers which look very similar to the old ones. For £3.00 I could have had (at first glance) quite a tasty piece. The quality, however, is not there: bases are ground but not polished; pontils look like they've been taken off with a chisel etc etc.... they're also selling Bohemia & Chinese pieces.

These are already finding their way into the Art Glass section of ebay - my concern is that when TK Maxx have a sale prices are through the floor & you can pick up labelled Murano tat for a pound or two. There's plenty of sellers out there who'd buy them just for the labels, or the fact that the piece is labelled. I'm asking for photos of bases on anything where the photography isn't crystal clear. For the less experienced among us there's a lot of dodgy glass out there right now!

Kind regards to all, Lyn

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:25:32 PM »
Lyn — Apologies, I did not see this the first time around.

Your blue vase is a splendid example of Pompeian glass by John Walsh Walsh, an early pattern in this range, No. A5043, launched c. 1931. It is also shown in the 1934 Hill Ouston wholesale catalogue on p104.

See Reynolds Walsh, Jackson Whitefriars Lookalikes in The Journal of The Glass Association Volume 5 1997, and Dodsworth BGbtW, for illustrations from the Walsh pattern book, the wholesale catalogue, and a photograph of another example.

Have a close look for a faint WALSH ENGLAND acid-matted mark on the base.   The best lighting conditions for this are outdoors when cloudy. If your vase was sold via Hill Ouston it is unlikely to carry this mark as they sold repro directly into the antiques trade.

Jackson is particularly useful on applied tears, with illustrations of examples from other glassworks.

Please let me know if you ever contemplate selling it.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: 2 LARGE vases I'd love to put maker's names to....
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
this is another cross reference I think, but for those who don't have the reference sources given above but do have Charles Hajdamach's British Glass 1800-1914, there is a Hill Ouston catalogue page on plate 374 page 410, that I think shows examples of Walsh Pompeian?  The decanter shown in the Hill Ouston page is in Reynolds page 121 A5047 and the vase with handles  on the middle left is A5045 page 121 in Reynolds.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
Did  Walsh used these 'pads and trails' on plain glass as well as on the Pompeian range please?
thanks
m

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 01:46:46 PM »
Just came across this doing a bit of research on my Walsh Vase A5043.  Can I correct something here. (Apologies if I've misunderstood what was written). The Walsh Walsh A5047 (Reynolds. p.121. fig 299) is not a decanter. I have that and it's a large lamp.Too big and heavy for a decanter. The measurements are on the designs: 15" tall and 7" across the base. The lamp has the original fitting which sits in the top held in by a spring. Both the vase (olive green ish) and lamp (dark green) are Pompeian.

All the best
Ian

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2024, 02:08:01 PM »
Thanks for the correction Ian :)

Would you mind adding a photograph?  Appreciate if you don't.

Many thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand