No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: chlum u trebone glassworks by jan gabrhel??  (Read 4494 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
chlum u trebone glassworks by jan gabrhel??
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:00:09 PM »
Hi all have had this vase for years and always wondered who made it that was untill i received my new copy of mark hill's latest book hi sklo low sklo now i think it may be by the above as on page 31 there is a very similar type of vase anyone know if it is? sorry the pics are poor im having trouble resizing some pictures on the cammera i have. All i can say is its very heavy and a lovely amethyst colour and looks fab in a sunny window. :thup:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: chlum u trebone glassworks by jan gabrhel??
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:03:35 PM »
I can not help with a positive ID for yours but I notice a few similarites with this vase that I know to have been designed by Jan Gabrhel (I do not have a copy of Hi Sklo Lo Sklo so forgive me if this is the vase illustrated). I also noticed one like yours for sale on ebay recently but I did not watch it to the end of the auction.

John.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:12:08 PM »
I suppose I can confirm your guess -
Chlum u Trebone, Jan Gabrhel 1969 - pattern no 12163 - CGR 1970/5 - page 42 (German version)

Jindrich

(John - I see a part of tall Vizner  3236 at right part of your picture, don't you want to sell or exchange it?)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 06:20:47 PM »
Sorry Jindrich, I am keeping that one, it is one of my favourites. If I find another one I promise to keep it for you.

I have heard that this design can develop cracks without warning due to stresses left over from manufacture (from cooling process?). I am still looking for the Jardiniere in this design.

John.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:15 PM »
Well John,
I understand you, I also would not sell my Vizner's pieces :-)

It was Frantisek Vizner who first time fully used the thick walled pressed glass designs in his graduate works. It gave to Czech pressed glass from sixties that special look and spirit - so different from imitation of engraved glass used in pressed glass designs before. Unfortunately temperature strains in thicker glass mass has introduced some technological problems - in fact easy solved with prolongation of time of cooling of hot pieces.
Fabrication problems had been solved succesfuly, but for us collectors not definitely. The internal stresses in glass can create the glass cracks after many years, the sudden change of temperature can induce it. It is easy physic or material mechanic but unfortunately another aspect rules - Murphy's law - the chance you will randomly loose your piece due to internal stress-strain crack is growing with the price and uniquiness of your beloved piece  :D

No, no - joke only - in fact I have lost only about 10% of my glass collection in my wife's washing machine until I have discovered that this is definitely not the best cleaning method for thick walled glass  ;D

Jindrich

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:20:36 AM »
I always use my high pressure water washer but I can not understand why everything falls over and then shoots around the garden like it is possessed.

I once opened a window next to a small Alsterfors vase only to hear a cracking noise, I then watched the crack slowly travel several centimeters down the vase. Arghhh!
I think that the change in air temperature created stresses between the different layers of cased glass which wanted to expand at different rates. Lovely little vase, I have only ever seen one other.....

John.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand