No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vandermark Art Glass vase, charity shop find  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Vandermark Art Glass vase, charity shop find
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
How on earth can someone look at this vase, and think , i will get rid of it in the local charity shop!

It was my lucky day today, on the top shelf, as soon as i picked it up i got excited, the quality is
amazing, less than a tenner, signed to the base Van Der Mark.
Ive just got home and googled , and its a studio in NJ USA, the tall 16 inch vases they make
sell for just under $1000  ;D
http://www.vandermarkmerrittglass.com/

I just dont understand how something like this crosses the atlantic and ends up in a charity shop,
sorry if i just sound like im boasting, but Blimey :thup:

Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Van Der Mark Art Glass vase, charity shop find
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »
Andy, Isn't that , to a degree, why we all love this so much.... I love the knowledge about glass, I love the beauty of glass, and I really love knowing enough about glass to be able to pick something like that up at a sale, or a shop and "steal" it for a few dollars.....  :thup:   It is not only about the knowledge, it is about developing the eye to see it.....

It never ceases to amaze me, the journeys some pieces must take to make it to our homes.....

Nice find!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Re: Vandermark Art Glass vase, charity shop find
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:36 AM »
I wonder that a lot of times myself, and the answer I usually end up with is that someone has to have died with no relatives for things like this to end up in a charity shop. I just can't come up with any other explaination.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Vandermark Art Glass vase, charity shop find
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:19 AM »
I now work for a non profit company.  Our profits (called revenues after expenses since we are a non profit, we do not generate profits) are all spent to help people in need in the community. I was hired, before my fall, to help run a store. I am now running a portion of the company which deals only in the more collectible items that come in as donations. I go to two other locations to pull inventory for the collectibles location which is located in one of the stores.  

It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that shows up.  I sold a $350 vintage Rado watch the other day, and a 1966 Fender Black Face Super-Reverb tube guitar amp for $1200 about a week ago. (The amp of choice for Stevie Ray Vaughn, for those of you into the blues). We have recently received some Belleek in the Nautilus pattern with the first green mark (4th mark for Belleek and used from 1946-1955), and today I priced a 1957 Singer Featherweight model 221 from 1957, at about $300 with case and attachments. I regularly get gold jewelry and yesterday I sold a Sterling Silver Mexican charm bracelet from the late 50's or early 60's from Taxco and artist signed....... We get sterling silver jewelry on a very regular basis........

It is a never ending stream of stuff......  Many times when a relative dies the family members look only at the big stuff.... selling the house, selling the cars.... etc.....  the rest of it is just household stuff to them and is in the way of accomplishing the larger task......  At other times it is just old stuff hanging around and many people, as amazing as it is, just think of it as old stuff......  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw the Fender amp.....  

Like they say "One man's junk is another man's treasure!!"

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand