No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can this be Seguso?  (Read 2756 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Can this be Seguso?
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 04:12:50 PM »
Update to previous post:

Gerard emailed me a very informative reply. I won't attach the pictures for the book (because of copyright, I think), but here's a picture of Gerard's beautiful vases.

Here's part of what Gerard wrote: In 1997 there was in The Hague, The Netherlands an exibition of old and modern Murano glass.
With the exibition there was also a beautiful book written by Rosa Barovier Mentasti and Adriano Berengo (img 1).
At page 50 there are two picture of objects by Archimede Seguso (img 2).
By the green vase it's the way of the amber layer and you can't see an extra colourless layer like a lot of simmular vases of other makers/designers.
The vases of this type of Archimede Seguso are very heavy; more than vases of other designers/makers.
I have two vases from this serie from 1955 (last picture)

Here's part of what I wrote back:

Your two pieces are very lovely and I'm sure they're Seguso. I compared the two with the similar vase I have and mine is  less finely made, and there is a lot of clear glass added at the end. I'm pretty sure now that my piece was made by a lesser furnace imitating Seguso. Sue's piece I'm still not too sure about. I think one would need to see the actual vase to know.

I suppose I always tend to be a little careful in attributing a particular type of vase to a well known maker as the the attribution then becomes even wider.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline sueglass

• Members
Re: Can this be Seguso?
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:33:25 PM »
Hi David and sorry for the long delay in responding. I do really appreciate all the replies. Mine is like in style picture 2 but more in colour with picture 1. I would send the picture but am also concerned about copyright too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand