No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE WITH I.D  (Read 2575 times)

Offline BAINSY

• Members
HELP PLEASE WITH I.D
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Can anyone tell me what this paperweight is.  It measures 55mm high by 75mm wide and is very heavy??? It has a bouquet of flowers with a pink rose in the middle with 2 milliefiori canes either side of it.  has a white lattice design in the base with a star cut in to the base???It has a main circular window at the top, with 8 circles below that, with 10 below that, then finally 10 on the bottom.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Kari

• Members
Re: HELP PLEASE WITH I.D
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
I would say antique St. Louis, and quite valuable!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BAINSY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:40:59 AM »
Hi Kari, thankyou for replying, much appreciated.  Still trying to get my head around these paperweights.  It was a toss up between Clichy and St Louis but didnt want to put words in to any one's head.  What do you reckon to the age of it, and How much do you reckon on price as i am thinking of selling it at a later stage?  Is anyone else of the same opinion that this is St Louis?  Many thanks to you all.

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:51:49 AM »
Setting a price is more homework than I'm up to on my slow laptop!

Do a Google search, and put in the terms "antique St. Louis paperweight/upright bouquet", or some variations.  You should also be able to find similar pieces through the L H Selman website: search his completed auctions and use those terms in your search.

Offline klint

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:05 PM »
Hi, I found some that look like your weight being sold on roslynroseantiques.com
under St. Louis paperweights. Looks like they sell for $3000 to $4500.

You have a very beautiful weight.

Offline Kari

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »
I think that sometimes Roslynn Rose is overly optimistic - especially in these times.  although antique French paperweights are always in demand due to their limited nature, I still think it would be good to get into the Selman site.  You would have a better idea of what one would actually sell for as opposed to what the dealer would like to get.  Even Selman manages to sell for more than the usual Ebay transaction, but the site would be a good resource for you: it's called The Paperweight Connection, or again, just google his name. 

Offline BAINSY

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I definately think it's St Louis now.  I have looked at those websites, shocked to see the prices, good shock.  There are 3 chips on the top window and an internal bruise on the base.  Do you think i should get this restored or sell it with chips?  The biggest chip is 5mm.  What do you all think of that, restore or leave?  It must halve its value???  Thanks by the way for all your valueable input. :thup:

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
Hi

Chips the size you mention would certainly reduce the sale price - and so would having it polished and reducing the size. But on balance, I would go for the slightly smaller but good condition piece.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline BAINSY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »
Thanks Alan.  Now does anyone know a good reliable paperweight restorer.  I live near Heathrow airport?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Good question! It is not easy to find someone who does good restoration including facetting. There is a Scottish cutter called Gordy Taylor (ex Perthshire)  who does a very good job, but it can take a long time (ie count in months rather than weeks...or even in years). I can give you his contact details if you send me a PM.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand