No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Decanter Large Bottle - is it real?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline pcdaly

• Members
Orrefors Decanter Large Bottle - is it real?
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »
I have this large bottle with a stopper that is signed "orrofors." Is this just a slip of the engraver making the "e" look like an "o"? Or should I be concerned that this is a forgery?  Note the initials HW and number 134/1.  I've searched and searched and found similar looking marks but just thought I check to see if anyone knows for sure.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Orrefors Decanter Large Bottle - is it real?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 07:14:18 AM »
I was about to say absolutely not! Then I checked Swedish Glass Factories, and there is an HU 134/1 decanter that is really similar to this one but with the black base typical of the period (1932-6) and a flattened black stopper.  So the H (for Edward Hald) is right but the W would have be slip of the pen for U. I wonder if this is a later model? What's the quality like?

I'll look some more in the morning as it's midnight here on the West Coast. Sorry not to clear this up, but it's an interesting one.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline pcdaly

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »
Good morning and thank you for your help with this!  Looking at the signature now I can definitely see the U rather than a W.  The quality is very nice - heavy base, thick walls, smooth.  The stopper is smooth and heavy as well and fits the neck snugly. I like that the stopper emulates the shape of the bottle, sort of a teardrop.  I found one other piece online where the E looked a little like an O but not nearly as much as mine does. Maybe Edward was a little tired that day?

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 12:43:12 PM »
I have a couple of pieces of Orrefors glass and have looked at a lot as well. I have noticed that the letters on some of the etched marks can be quite irregular - but then again they are done by free hand! Incidentally I would agree with the artist and the "U" (not a W as first thought) means that it is an uncut piece.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand