No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebay glass vase identification?? Might be Czech?  (Read 12647 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Ebay glass vase identification?? Might be Czech?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
Looks very like pieces seen made by Hineri, Japan in the 60s-70s, but I can't find anything out about Hineri.  They used paper labels "Hand Craft Hineri Glass Made In Japan" according to my jottings - made a long time ago.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »
It definitely looks similar to Hineri to me too, Anne, but that's just an impression and I don't know much about it except what's flashed past on eBay. I wish I could interest my brother in glass - he lives in Japan and is fluent in the language, but is more interested in women, alcohol and martial arts!

Some examples of Japanese freeform glass: Hineri vase a bit like Dan's vase, a really amazing Hineri thing, slightly iridescent Hineri, Sanyu, ugly vase thingyOread and unknown (pretty sure that Oread is Japanese as well), a Rossini swan.

Just for reference, here are a couple of glass pieces, labelled Sanyu and Rainbow Glass, both stating "Made in Japan". Sanyu is likely to be a company name, whereas Rainbow Glass is probably either an importer's label or a local brand name.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »
Thanks for all the excellent info on hineri id bet its made by them or someone very close, Amases me just how fast some people can navigate the web and find snippets of really usefull information on so many differing subjects thanks for all your time. I didnt like the vase out of the box but after a nice soapy wash and a spot light behind it im quite taken with it. so it might stay for a while!! Im trying to amass a collection cheaply this was my most expensive peice by a long shot so far, im getting pieces from all over the place but i guess thats the way it goes you dont just go out and find pieces by daum,tiffany, in charity shops that know one wants anymore,  but i guess thats the fun in this hobby you just never know whats going too turn up..good hunting all

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »
Let's see what Jindra says before jumping to conclusions though! It might well still be Czech - but we shouldn't discount other possibilities.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
...I didnt like the vase out of the box but after a nice soapy wash and a spot light behind it im quite taken with it. so it might stay for a while!! Im trying to amass a collection cheaply this was my most expensive peice by a long shot so far, im getting pieces from all over the place but i guess thats the way it goes you dont just go out and find pieces by daum,tiffany, in charity shops that know one wants anymore,  but i guess thats the fun in this hobby you just never know whats going too turn up..good hunting all

Buying the glass you like is a good way to collect. I wouldn't want to pay too much postage, though, if the glass isn't a fair investment. I think the best advice for someone building a collection is to zero in on what he/she likes best and buy a good book. For example, a person interested in learning Murano could buy Leslie Pina's Italian Glass Century 20. It isn't very expensive and is an excellent primer for Murano glass for the ordinary person, i.e. the one who doesn't have lots of money. A good book pays for itself very quickly by helping to avoid mistake purchases. It is more enjoyable to collect good glass than okay glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
Thank you for the advice on collecting txsilver i originally started collecting a few months back and wanted to collect things that were good investments  for the future as its quite a time consuming hobby i try too buy from charity shops it amases me how charity shops can get the prices of glassware  wrong, i remember seeing a waterford crystal decanter for £4 recently yet they had £8 on a polish crystal vase in a box?? What glass is a good investment for the future? ive heard sklo union might be an up and coming glass to purchase now at reasonble prices for the future. thanks dan.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand