No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An ashtray with a face!!!!!!! = Skrufs - design by Lars Hellsten  (Read 6736 times)

Doris

Picked this up today  at my local  RSPCA  quarterley car boot, amongst other interesting items, but this one made me laugh because to me it looks like a face.
A sturdy piece of glass no doubt about that weighs a ton(well almost) but wondered what  fellow glassies thought about it.

http://tinypic.com/e6yjv7.jpg

Thanks Doris

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: An ashtray with a face!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 09:36:14 PM »
Quote from: "Doris"
Picked this up today  at my local  RSPCA  quarterley car boot, amongst other interesting items, but this one made me laugh because to me it looks like a face.
A sturdy piece of glass no doubt about that weighs a ton(well almost) but wondered what  fellow glassies thought about it.

http://tinypic.com/e6yjv7.jpg!

It looks Scandinavian - possibly Finnish.  I have seen something similar. Will try to locate and get back, but I'm sure in the meantime someone more knowledgeable will know and will respond.  :P  

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
An ashtray with a face!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 09:32:21 PM »
REf original item http://tinypic.com/e6yjv7.jpg

It's by Swedish company Skrufs - design by Lars Hellsten

I don't know the pattern name but it was put to good use on bottles and vases and bowls as well as ashtrays and classed as 'Pop Baroque'

See Miller's slim collector's guides - 'Glass of 50s & 60s' by N Benson pp50

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 10:20:05 PM »
Quote from: "David555"

It's by Swedish company Skrufs - design by Lars Hellsten

I don't know the pattern name but it was put to good use on bottles and vases and bowls as well as ashtrays and classed as 'Pop Baroque'

See Miller's slim collector's guides - 'Glass of 50s & 60s' by N Benson pp50

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:

Adam

Although it was my first thought also that this little ashtray was by Skrufs, isn't it a bit rash to say that it definitely is without finding a reference to an identical item?

:?:

No offence intended, just trying to give Doris factual information.  :)
I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 11:04:16 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
Quote from: "David555"

Although it was my first thought also that this little ashtray was by Skrufs, isn't it a bit rash to say that it definitely is without finding a reference to an identical item?

:?:

No offence intended, just trying to give Doris factual information.  :)

Blimey.  I've been to bed...for 30 mins, then got worried I'd been rude on the GMB....if I was, I didn't mean to be, sometimes words get in the way.  :(

Arghhhh!  I really MUST go to bed now!   :o
I am not a man

doris

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 11:17:06 PM »
Anne
Same jug Thank you

Tiger Chips
Super Sleuth

David
Thanks for input

Max
I'm with you!

Thank you all  looking at it again reminds me of a New Zealand Maori Rugby Player. It goes on to the display cabinet.
Regards
Doris

Doris

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 11:28:53 PM »
David 555
Have just trawled some of the sites you mentioned and came across the  exact design on a bottle by Scrufs so looks like you are flavour of the mo th! Well done and thank you!
Doris

Doris

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 11:29:42 PM »
month
Sorry

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 12:01:33 AM »
LOL Max

The Miller's book I quoted gives the exact design in every way - there can be no doubt or I would not have been so positive

Anyway Max you can't be rude to me no matter what you say or do, you are such a nice person how anyone could take offence ……..

And you like cats?

I have three including a Torty, a British Black & a Burmese

They keep me sane

Doris how did you know .. I am a Moth, a great big Moth!!

LOL
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand