No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese Glass attribute to Okra by Antiques Roadshow Expert?????  (Read 2264 times)

Offline scimiman

• Members
Be warned this lot 330334551828 on ebay is not okra. She was apparently told by an expert at an The Antiques Road Show that it was early okra and made by someone called Michael.
I have told her that no one by the name of Michael has ever worked at Okra.
I have given her a link showing these vases are made in China but she wont have it.
Come on you experts if you don't know what you are talking about the best thing to do is keep the mouth shut tightly.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Chinese Glass attribute to Okra by Antiques Roadshow Expert?????
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:05:11 AM »
The www.cnexport.com seems to have taken down their link to images of modern Chinese glass, which is a shame because something very like this vase was there.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:56:12 AM »
Images still available on the way back machine here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050119222855/cnexpot.com/abglasweb/zxgp36.htm (btw Cathy, it's cnexpot not cnexport)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 07:54:31 AM »
Many thanks for that, I had been looking for it as they seem to have taken down their original site. Probably getting ready to bombard us with another load of cheap studio glass.
Sadly the person that has this piece on ebay will not take anyones word for it other than a missinformed BBC valuer. :huh:
We still fight on. I am sure I will see the piece again at some stage when a poor unsuspecting person asks me to value it as a piece of Okra.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »
This is a very difficult question which comes up more and more. On this board we have Mike whom we know as probably the most outstanding expert in the world on Okra glass. However, the seller claims to have been told by an Antiques Roadshow expert that the piece is Okra. And Antiques Roadshow experts are like policemen, politicians and bank managers - we trust everything they say, don't we?  ;D

If we are prepared to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the seller thinks that the Antiques Roadshow is correct and that if Mike is an Okra expert he is trying to get a rare piece on the cheap!! ;D But seriously most people's attitude is that if the AR expert has said it is Okra then it is.

Perhaps someone could email the seller the link to this thread and maybe they would like to join the board and contribute to the debate. I am not an expert on Okra, but I too know that it is 100% not Okra. :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
I've removed a couple of posts from this topic as we shouldn't be going down the road of seller-bashing please.

Adam is correct in saying that this seller has sought an expert opinion,  and even if we disagree with that opinion, at least the seller has tried and s/he shouldn't be criticised for believing an expert opinion. Inviting the seller to join the board would be a useful step to take.

We don't know which AR expert was consulted but at least two of them are members of this forum so any negative feedback from this matter will probably get back to whoever it was.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »
Commenting in a very roundabout way about this seller's publicly posted eBay feedback isn't 'seller-bashing' in my opinion.  But there you go.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
One negative feedback in 12 months is hardly cause for complaint to be fair, Pip. 

Seller has been invited to come and join us on the board, please make her welcome if she does join us.

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 07:58:17 PM »
I invited her as I do with all people that have glass they cant identify properly to join the forum. The more the better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand