No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: repaired vasart/ysart bros inkwell  (Read 1018 times)

Offline cfosterk

• Members
repaired vasart/ysart bros inkwell
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »
really attractive coloration - shame it seems the neck was damaged at some point and had a sympathetic repair with a brass fitting.

the seller seemed a little doubtful at first - you're views would be appreciated!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220423689557&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: repaired vasart/ysart bros inkwell
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »
Shocking price  :o but an amusing read, makes me wonder why we all bother to publish any information  :24:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: repaired vasart/ysart bros inkwell
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »
I have sent the following to the seller:

For information, please note that there was no such company as "Ysart glassworks of Spain".

Bottles like this are usually thought to be from the early Vasart period, 1946 to a few years before 1956, most likely made by Salvador Ysart.

I examined this item when it was with a previous owner who had it logged as "Monart". Even so, there is no actual proof of these style inkwells (rather than perfume or secnt bottles) being pre-war Monart.

Also, a brass collar, neck, or lid has been seen on several of these items as a repair. The brass repairs are not very old. The previous owner had this item correctly logged as "repaired".

For details about the Ysart family see the book "Ysart Glass" or refer to Frank Andrews' web pages on "Scottish Glass". For examples of bottles of this type please see my web article:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/Inkwells/Inkwells.htm

Kevin H
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand