No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut glass charity shop find  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Cut glass charity shop find
« on: October 03, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
Here's something different for a change - it's been a while since we had any cut glass on this board, isn't it?  

For once, I had a lucky find in a charity shop this morning!  I saw these nicely cut little tot glasses for 99p each  :D   Sadly there were only 5 but, hey!   http://tinypic.com/e88zeb.jpg

They are small, 8cm high and 6cm across the top, and appear to be hand made, as the thickness of the glass in each is very slightly different - more noticeably so on a couple of them.  The glass is quite bright and clear, but not perfect as there is a tiny bubble in one and some minute (only visible with a magnifying glass, but there) black specks in the base of another.  There is no pontil mark, but a smooth and apparently (at least, that't what it looks like to me, although the picture is not clear) fire-polished base.  http://tinypic.com/e891ra.jpg

I wonder if anyone has any idea about their origins?  My feeling is 'Bohemian' by the cutting, which is hand done and quite good - and incidentally, not as 'busy' as the photo makes it seem!

Another good thing is that they should slow down my drinking - a double measure (my usual  :oops:  :roll: ) would look quite greedy in one of these  :lol:   :wink:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Cut glass charity shop find
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 02:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
 Sadly there were only 5  

That is the correct number for a set in Japan.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:36:33 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
Quote from: "Leni"
 Sadly there were only 5  

That is the correct number for a set in Japan.

Well the lady in the charity shop said," Oh, yes, it was a shame about the 6th" so I presume it arrived broken or damaged, or they broke it   :(

But since we've gone metric here in the UK you can't get a bunch of a dozen red roses, either - they now come in 10's  :evil:  :roll:  

Were you by any chance hinting they might be Japanese, Ivo?   :shock:

The design on them actually reminded me a bit of the Waterford design 'Dolmen' - but with more criss-cross and fiddly bits  :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 04:04:13 PM »
No I was not hinting they are Japanese - just that a Japanese set is five. I'm not quite sure where the idea that a set should always be 6 (12)  comes from, I think it is a victorian concept. Get 6 people to dinner, three courses on matching plates, damast napkins, glasses for water, aperitif, white wine, red wine and dessert wine, bring out the fish knives and the steak knives, and the butter knives and the knife rests - I'm not sure we do that  any more. Times have changed.  

I think your glasses are quite OK for drinking red wine. But unable to say if they're Belgian, or British, or German or Czech or French.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 04:18:40 PM »
the set of six came from how big the table was , head of the house at one end the lady the other and two either side , if it was a bigger table it was 5 either side and two at the ends in the victorian times
cheers Ray

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 04:45:03 PM »
Well, I had 8 or 12 of most things, because there were 7 of us normally (2 & 5 sons - I know, I know!  :oops: :roll:  ) but so many plates / bowls got broken and bits of cutlery got lost - how does that happen  :evil:  :evil: - that now I've got odd numbers of most things, so the glasses will be no problem  :roll:

I'm not going to drink red wine out of them, Ivo.  I've got *BIIIIIG* glasses for that   :wink:  :lol:  but I'm hoping these little ones will help me to keep the single Malts in single measures  :wink:

Maybe  :twisted:

Leni
Leni

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
Picture gone

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
Pic still gone!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »
Leni, do you still have pics to add back please? Without images we may as well delete this one. :(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand