No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco Frosted Glass Dishes - French but Arrers or Auxers?  (Read 11744 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Art Deco Frosted Glass Dishes - French but Arrers or Auxers?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 01:56:13 AM »
Jo that is excellent - same design no doubt and is part of a desert set

I am sure these items are worth money as stand alone French art deco - I think there will be few who have a full set in perfect nick

Yours is opalescent - slighltly nicer than my plain frosted dishes that go with it

I am sure your bowl is worth £100.00+ easy on eBay where they are crazy for the French companies around at same time as Lalique

I recently sold a French glass nude in frosted green with a number on base and got £120.00 for it (I paid £5.00 :oops: )
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 06:19:46 PM »
Hi

Not made much progress here still , I hope I have made contact with a French Glass dealer who I sold my set to , hopeing he will be able to help confirm Maker / name and maybe a little history of the company

roy 8)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 07:33:31 PM »
I think it is probably a customer brand not a manufacturer. .

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 08:09:40 PM »
Hi

Your spelling was correct, the person I sold to told me this hope it is of some help

Hi Roy,
Yes you have sold to me on a couple of occasions, and you used to email me with some questions about French glass before that.
The name is Arrers, and I don't know anything more than that they were making those hazelnut bowls and small bowls - fruit sets? -  around the 1930's  It's a bit like G Vallon - the pieces are very familiar, but no-one knows much about the maker. I think the reason that they are not known about is because at that time the manufacture of Opalescent glass was centered in France, and many small glassworks sprang up around the main ones of Lalique, Sabino, Etling, etc., riding on the market that they had created, and as quickly disappeared when the market changed.
I have moved  quite a few pieces of Arrers over this last year I still have a large bowl and four small ones.  A couple of the small ones were sold last week on eBay on eBay.fr as well.  It is a very pretty pattern, and the pattern looks as though the moulds were made by the greatest mould maker of the time - Frankenhauser, or a name like that - I am not too good at remembering names. He, the mould maker made a lot of the moulds for Lalique, Etling, Hunebelle, etc.
I am finding the market in French Opal glass is not very good at the moment, so I am holding onto my glass, and indulging in another passion, collecting coins.
Kind regards
Robert

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 11:30:15 PM »
Hi Robert

More excellent information - Arrers it is

I am very interested in the mould maker thread and Frankenhauser moulds do seem very similar from a quick comparison - The crispness and the finishing off is fantastic even in my two small pieces

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand