No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: OLD RUMMER GLASS OR MODERN REPRODUCTION ?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline allan_666

• Members
OLD RUMMER GLASS OR MODERN REPRODUCTION ?
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
this glass measures 20cm tall by 9cm across the rim and quite heavy weighing 700gms.it has controlled bubbles in it and tears in the stem anybody any ideas please ?
regards Allan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: OLD RUMMER GLASS OR MODERN REPRODUCTION ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:54:46 PM »
Modern, by the look of it and maybe not so much a reproduction as a modern version of a crystal goblet.  These have been made by many companies, e.g. Wedgwood and Leerdam - but there must be others too. I know of similar items made in Poland and in Denmark....  In Holland they were very popular as business gifts so we tend to find these with council or business logos engraved.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
Hi ,
           Looks to me like a 20thc version of an 18thc goblet from the  Lauenstien,or Hessen,glasshouses , the form is very much like their's and they commonly had controlled bubbles in the base of the bowls in the 18thc ones.and are still producing them  in large numbers today .

Cheers ,
            Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline allan_666

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:10:51 AM »
thank you Peter i suspected it was a modern copy as it looks to clean and fresh i actually have a pair that slighly differ in size
best regards Allan

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand