No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle Of Wight Glass, Signed and Unusual Label  (Read 17982 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Isle Of Wight Glass, Signed and Unusual Label
« on: October 04, 2005, 06:02:27 PM »
I had  a really good day today, and also bought this lovely Isle of Wight paperweight which is signed "Michael Harris Isle Of Wight" on the base.

http://tinypic.com/e97qro.jpg

and this funny looking brick thing with a small hole in the top

http://tinypic.com/e97qm1.jpg

And this funny printed label on the base. It reads Handmade Isle Of Wight England

http://tinypic.com/e97qfm.jpg

Is this an early label or another glass factory which copied the colours of Michael Harris?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 06:12:29 PM »
:D:D:D
Well done Barbara!!! These both have early labels! Normally both labels would be on each of the pieces, but you've managed to get one of each kind.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 06:24:33 PM »
Oh I am so pleased, I knew that the paperweight was OK, but I haven't seen the other label before.

What would the little brick thing be used for? A pen holder? It wouldn't hold a flower, so I don't suppose it would be a flower brick as it would only hold one. Then again it would suit my other half, one tiny flower :(

Barbara

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 10:14:02 PM »
:D :? :D  
They did make things called flower bricks, but I don't know what they look like! Perhaps Mark Hill might come along and tell us, he knows more about this sort of thing than I do - (I'm more into bottles, bowls and vases). Perhaps it would hold a single precious orchid???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 02:02:30 AM »
Hi

Both 1973 - 1979 no later

There is a good pic of both your labels on one piece in the book 'J Miller guide 2004 pp274'

The yellow and white weight is when they were experimenting with colour; everyone associates them with iridized glass called ‘Azurene’ which came in the 1980s and is perversely more collectable

Tiger gives a good attribution from a book, I can see yours also has a rim around the base and it is indeed called a 'Seaward' pedestal paperweight - I take it yours is not signed by Harris (?) - the paperweight should have a pontil on the base with an impressed 'flame' mark called the 'gather of glass flame' mark - if not don't worry its still IOW

Here is a weight from same period in orange with bubbles and a single twist of silver foil in the middle - it is almost non-sellable at the moment, your one having the paper label and attribution would make it more desirable

I love the oblong weight / block, it’s an 'Aurene' block or sculptural piece c1975 - 76 - those browns and whites with ....I think a slight opalescence or iridescence in the inner decoration?

Here is an Aurene Vase of same period - notice the label (they used two types one with and one without 'England') - Your Aurene block is the more desirable and a IOW collector would pay over £40+ for this, there is no proof I can see that they were candle holders, I have had some without holes, the surface is always rough though

The round yellow paperweight would not have had the 'Hand Made Isle of Wight England' label on it; this was for sculptural items and vases

The block would probably have had the paper 'flame' logo label as well as the existing label as it did not have a pressed pontil mark - but it does not detract

Nice finds

BTW - yes there are / were other glass makers on the island

Alum Bay
Lucas - Touch of Glass (now closed)

Any I forgot?
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 06:39:50 AM »
Hi Adam,

The yellow paperweight is signed by Michael Harris on the flat base, but I can't get a good picture of it, but it says "Michael Harris Isle of Wight" .

And here is my Touch of Glass perfume bottle with a label on the base.

http://tinypic.com/eapetu.jpg

Are you sure your're you aren't psychic as I was going to ask who had made this bottle later today :shock:

Barbara

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 10:56:41 AM »
Adam (David555) posted:
The round yellow paperweight would not have had the 'Hand Made Isle of Wight England' label on it; this was for sculptural items and vases

That's interesting, as I have a weight with the impressed logo and the "Hand Made ..." label:
http://tinypic.com/eaqpnp.jpg
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 11:12:23 AM »
:D:D:D
Hello Barbara!
Your paperweight is not "Seaward", which is the colourway shown in the picture in Miller's. I would suspect it is a variation of "Gold Aurene". Blue and gold "Aurene" are the ranges that were developed after "Seaward" and "Tortoiseshell", the first two ranges produced, which were developed as a continuing theme from their work at Mdina. Tortoiseshell was produced for much longer than Seaward (my favourite IoWSG of all time!). (Ref. Lesley Jackson's 20th Century Factory Glass). However, they were experimenting a lot and many pieces were made that did not become a particular "range" and many differing things were made that can be considered to be within a range. (hence the use of the word range!)

Chris Lucas, "A Touch of Glass"/"Alum Bay" glass (the same studio) trained at IoWSG for a while first, but has now left and I believe he is doing architectural design stuff. If you search the boards for Alum Bay, you will find a few threads discussing this. (I did this earlier, to add the references, but somehow my rather laboured posting got lost and I'm having to do it all again!)

(Dah Dah! - I used "edit" after submitting. Fritting "computer-knows-better-than-me-what-I-want-to do" stuff will NOT get the better of me! :twisted::twisted::twisted: )

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1228.msg7521.html#msg7521

There is also "Glory Art Glass" on the Isle of Wight.

http://www.iowight.com/art-glass/
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 12:52:41 PM »
Hi

I haven't seen either of the IOW items before, and although I like them they are not my "thang" really ( I like my etched Swedish glass best!) so they will be listed soon on that big auction site. :)

My little bottle has a round label on the bottom with "A touch of glass" a map of the Isle of Wight and Chris Lucas signature across it, then "Handmade on the Isle of Wight". I have tried to take a photo but my camera either flashes at the wrong moment or makes it very blurred.

Barbara

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 12:56:23 PM »
The deep blue with greeny, sometimes yellowy swirls and bubbles, pictured in Miller's is Seaward. It's very difficult to photograph, and Miller's does not do it justice!

Barbara's paperweight is not Seaward, but what I think might be a variation of Gold Aurene - but have a look at the unusual Mdina amber effect bottle I showed in the thread posted by hotglass - there are similarities!
edited to add picture - bottle on right.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/dc4ee942.jpg

I was sure the glassmaker of Glory Art Glass was named in the site :?:?:?

edited again:- Just checked the site. The dog appears to be called Oscar, but can't find the glassmaker's name!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand