No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Murano bird  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Another Murano bird
« on: October 05, 2005, 06:57:53 PM »
Can anybody give me some clues as to this birds maker. Also, what kind of bird is it and how old do you think it is, and what is the quality like?

(breath)

I paid £3 for it, do you think I paid too much?

Sorry to ask so many questions, any comments welcome. Thank you. :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Another Murano bird
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 09:15:15 PM »
I think he's a nice and well made bird, I especially like his wide open beak!  He looks like he has a high concentration of uranium oxide - he appears to be glowing even without a blacklight!

£3 was a bargain.  :D
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Another Murano bird
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 11:18:49 PM »
All hand crafted with a lovely face and crest to head - nice wings - I would sell this on eBay for £19.99 easily - it doesn't matter about age it's a good bird and someone would want it, especially with the nuclear fusion going on inside

Small neat hand ground and polished base, better than these highly decorative crimped bases with aventurine, at least for my tastes

I think he is Murano, the face is very similar (the indented eyes) to pieces I have with labels and signatures - I have not seen a 1960s glowing version exactly like this (and I have seen a lot) so my guess is 1980s up when they started to experiment a bit more with other techniques than sommerso etc - who knows may even be Czech or Polish, but I doubt it

I have lots I know are good 60s but may never get an attribution - you know my main guy told me he has lots of figures and birds stored away with 'Toso' on the base and other words, he felt embarrassed by the name thinking it was Toser and never sold them LOL - I want to see them

Someone tell me I am wrong

Ads D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Another Murano bird
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 07:20:07 AM »
Thanks, I thought there might be something wrong with it since it was so cheap but apparently not.  :D

There is a light shining through underneath which I used to brighten it up a bit.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand