No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aesthetic Period Turquoise enamelled vase  (Read 3177 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Aesthetic Period Turquoise enamelled vase
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »
 ;D
Mike, in all seriousness,  given Legras was such a huge concern as a business, they must have been turning over a fortune to need (and be able to monetarily afford) to sub-contract their supply to outside manufacture. 
It's amazing.  It would be interesting to see their annual turnover figures or an account of the total annual number of pieces sold, over a period of years to include before they were dealing with Harrach, during and then after.  Does it tie in with any particular ownership of the business?
and do we know what years are being accounted for as supplies from Harrach mixed in, presumably, with Legras also making their own. 
Also I'm sure I've read that other French companies used Legras blanks.  Does this mean that actually it is possible other French companies may have been using Harrach blanks?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »
French and Italian!

In the secret repository at the Harrach factory museum they have wide range of pieces including a massive range of what I would call 'Legras' maybe 15-20 different shape pieces in the range of the attached picture  -there was one identical to the pictured vase and they allowed me to handle it and it was indistinguishable from Legras  (looking and feeling the same are two very different things)-it appears, asking the experts, that they probably made them for Legras -not just the blanks, but the finished product.

The Harrach section of the U(P)M museum had other surprises.

Legras may have been big, Harrach was massive!

Sorry no pictures -I do not have permission -the picture below is one of my own pieces.   

M

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »

So Legras was manufacturer and wholesaler/distributor - I suppose thinking about it, it's probably not that surprising from a business perspective.  It just puts a spanner in the works if you are a researcher and collector  :)

Italian ? wow...I don't collect Italian though so I'm going to ignore that curved ball   ;D
I love that vase btw -
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand