No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: green glass..drinking glass? or vase with applied glass face Any ideas on ID  (Read 5651 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
I picked this one up about 2 years back, another car boot oddity. Made from a frosted green glass with applied frosted clear foot and face. Quite a nice thing really, i have no idea on maker, country or even age. I would assume its fairly new. Well made, not perfect so hand made rather than processed, chunky, very tactile. I think its a drinking glass although could be used as a small vase too.
19cms tall, 9cms in diameter 500g
It has a small raised & polished rectangle at the back (11mm by 3mm) i would imagine this is for a sticker/signiature of some sort. It reminds me of some scandi stuff.
any ideas welcomed
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline malwodyn

• Members
I've seen something similar recently, and I'm racking my brains... Something says Iestyn Davies, but I could be horribly wrong...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
now you say that ive seen some of his work before which is slightly similar, although doesnt he sign all his work?

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
ive just found this on ebay which is very similar, but its signed item number 230343638634 (sorry i dont know how to do links very well so if somebody could put it in for me thanks)
maybe its a second thats why its not signed??
michelle

Offline scimiman

• Members
Blowzone Iestyn and Bev Davies from the West Midlands.
Very talented.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
many thanks for that, ive dropped them an email with a picture for confirmation from them. But after seeing some other pieces im sure it is, great buy for £4.00 on the boot sales, its been sat on top of my microwave for 2 years waiting for its turn in the spot light. Do you know if they sign everything which would lead me to think this is a second, or do they only sign some pieces and not others (like with Paul Critchley who only signs things over a certain value)
michelle

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Michelle — The design was called "Visage".   Iestyn Davies meant to sign everything, but was easily diverted to more creative work, and often forgot.   I've had one of his pieces through my hands that he signed twice, once on the back, and once on the base.   Artists of that calibre are allowed to be forgetful.

I can't recall a recent glass fair that didn't have some of his work on offer, so, if you want to see more of his work, come to a glass fair.

... and, if you wish to sell, please let me know.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Michelle, we have a quick help here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19556.0.html to show how to do those eBay links. :)

Bernard, this reminds me of those ermmmm vases, were they?.... that you had at Harrogate Glass Fair when we met you there.... are they the same maker? (I just checked and we didn't get pics of those for the GG album.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
many thanks for that info Bernard C, i have been to the cambridge glass fair a couple of times (last one fell on a date i was selling at a little fair so couldnt make it), i live in ely which is only about 15 miles from cambridge so perfect for me although we have a very boisterous 4 year old boy so not always the best place to take him  :o
I will be selling the vase at some point, my first port of call is normally ebay as i find things find there own value on there.. i will let you know the details as and when
all the best
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum