No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paul Ysart IEA paperweight  (Read 1978 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Paul Ysart IEA paperweight
« on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »

Does anyone know yet what IEA stands for in Paul Ysart weights like this one that is currently for sale? And is the partial garland a known feature?

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
Re: Paul Ysart IEA paperweight
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
Hi Alan

I favour the idea that IEA is the Institute of Economic Affairs.Formed 1956/7
It's a long time ago but I think one of the Founders of the IEA was Scottish and could well have had these weights made in 1956/7 which lines up with the Monart Label on the base of my weight.

In Colin Mahoney's book on Ysart weights he says that the Blue weights had a spaced Garland and the Green weights a continous garland.

Also he says that the Blue weights are 3.2 inches and the Green are 2.9 inches

Any one confirm these sizes??

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 06:21:30 PM »
Hi Roy

Many thanks - sounds like I need Colin M's book, once it is available to the general public!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
I have one of these with blue ground and a partial garland. It is 3 1/16 inch (7.8 cm) diameter.

An interesting point is that the green ground examples seem to all have a different setting of canes in the garland. The blue ground ones have what appears to be the same setup of canes in the partial garland - the grouping being green inner, pink to either side then blue to outer. On close inspection, these part garland groups do differ between weights as they have at least one different cane per weight.

It's a pity the seller seems to have been encouraged to sell at what was an apparently early high bid price of £22. Had they allowed the sale to run, they would have had a pleasant surprise on the true price it would have achieved.
KevinH

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:47:09 PM »
Hi Kev

I must confess to being the guilty party in this deal. As I was going on holiday and would not be able to pay for a couple of weeks even if I did win the weight I contacted the seller with an offer over 10 times what was being currently bid if he was willing to to a buy it now bid.

He contacted ebay and they suggested a solution to the dilema.

The paperwork shows one bid above the underbidder but I actually paid a fair price for the weight.

My apologies to the first bidder but it had to make a fairer price

Regards

Roy (mia culpa )

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
I found so many candidates for IEA that the solution is insoluble without input from the organisation that actually commissioned them. Possibly, one day a first owner will turn up with an answer.

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:44:03 AM »
Hi All

I have just taken delivery of the IEA weight and the dimensions of the Blue weight is 3 1/8 inches (7.9 cms )
and my existing Green weight is 2 13/16 inches (7.2 cms )
Surprisingly the smaller diameter is slightly higher giving a completely different profile.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand