No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vase? - ID = Whitefriars 9596 barrel shaped Soda Vase in Midnight Blue  (Read 1993 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
unknown it could be a modern example but i felt might be worth checking it out, it measures 7"tall 2.5"base diameter 2" rim diameter some wear to the base and tooling markings not polished pontil. The item has a very neat rim and is petrol blue in good light. The vase has a good weight also?

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Ronald stennett-wilson vase?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »
It's a Geoffrey Baxter design for Whitefriars, pattern 9596, barrel shaped Soda Vase - appears in the 1964 catalogue.

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »
Thankyou very much pip for taking the time too look, Thought it was worth buying well chuffed. Thought all whitefriars vase's have polished pontil's too base? That threw me guess knowledge is power. THANKS DAN.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
Dan, apparently most of the soda vases don't have polished pontils, although some of the very early ones did. I had a 9602 vase with such a polished pontil and when I asked the W/f folks for ID was told that. Those earlier ones also seem to be heavier than the later ones.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:26:16 PM »
Yes...it's not as heavy as pieces ive had in the past that also threw me i think, It appear's to be in the midnight blue colourway when against a white background it has darker blue top and bottom with a lighter shade in the middle really quite atractive for a smaller vase. Thanks anne :thup:

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:08:35 AM »
Thankyou very much pip for taking the time too look, Thought it was worth buying well chuffed. Thought all whitefriars vase's have polished pontil's too base? That threw me guess knowledge is power. THANKS DAN.

You're most welcome.  The polished pontil thing isn't a reliable indicator of Whitefriars production or not - as you're aware now :-)  A good find, and yes yours is Midnight Blue (sorry forgot that in my first posting).

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Lovely thanks pip  :thup:

Offline Patrick

• Members
Hi,
 This may well be a design using old lighting moulds..............

" his adaptation of old lighting moulds to produce the graceful lightweight soda glass vases;"
     This is a quote from http://www.20thcentury-glass.com/glass/english/powell/powell-intro.htm

Regards, Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand