No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther lamp?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline marycoome

• Members
Walther lamp?
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:57:01 AM »
hello
This is from my grandmothers estate. I think it is Walther Rotterdam? It has a very small chip on the tip of the shade. Would that affect its value much as I need to sell it. I have had it rewired so that it is now safe to use, is that a bad thing?
Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
Re: Walther lamp?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:37:57 PM »
Hi yes you're right this is Walther Rotterdam lamp.Originally the base was part of a comport the urn she holds would hold a pegged bowl.I have the same in green as the complete comport.
I would think it would sell well and depending how big the chip is wouldnt really detract.
Nige
"Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marycoome

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
Thank you
They were not intended as lamps originally? I googled them and every picture I see has the same shade and the gallery on the shade is identical in everyone so the factory must have had a contract with a gallery supplier?
Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »
Glass manufacturers did not usually add metalwork themselves. Nigel is being a bit of a purist, as the base with comport is how it is shown in the Walther catalogues. But if the hole for the cable in the base is not drilled post pressing, she was also made to be a lamp base, but there was nothing to stop hole being drilled. The glass manufacturers' catalogues never wrote in stone what happened to the products they made. The glass manufacturers sold to wholesalers, who may or may not have tweaked what they bought, and to retailers, who sold as supplied. Business is business.

I don't know if the shade is Walther or not. The wholesaler will have ordered the bases from Walther, the shades from Walther or another supplier, and the gallery from the metal basher. Then either assembled them or had them assembled before selling them on as complete units. These base were also probably sold retail as candlesticks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand