No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Eickholt signature variations  (Read 12597 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Does anybody know this signiature cidiy ??? unusual design
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
I located a picture of one of his sigs in my photo file. Unfortunately, it has glare, but it still shows fairly well. The sig was on the base of one of his Winged Phoenix sculptures. Sometimes the Eickholt sig is not so good, with the last four letters trailing off, so the sig looks something like "Eidhart" or "Eickhart."
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
Hi there
martyn k Thats definatly the same signiature as mine. So im still not really sure as some people are saying de not as his signiatures where always spot on where as others are saying signiatures changed.
Ohio, i have actually looked at every single advert currently on ebay for Eickholt. There are different styles of signiature, and not knowing anything about Eickholt it was hard to tell which was genuine.
so i think we are back to square one?? i will keep on searching
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »
Hi Michelle,

All of these were sold as Eickholt but have the same mark as on your weight...

item numbers:  250444516768   250444518630   260428812027   260428814631   260428803693     260428799891   

Having gone through all those listed on ebay for the fourth time in as many weeks I agree with you that there is considerable variation in the marks... but like you 'I know nothing'

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 11:23:34 AM »
All from the same seller, who looks like like a dealer, but none at Eickholt prices

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »
ahhh see now that would link back to Eickholt because the last number is a vase (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260428799891&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F260428799891%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp284.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D260428799891%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_naf%3D1%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1)  which does appear to be very similar to some of his work displayed on a website i found http://www.phoenixorion.com/phoenixorion/eickholt.htm, and the vase does have to same signiature as mine..
Thanks for your hard work martyn k
michelle

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
but none at Eickholt prices

....?? The prices were broardly consistant with comparable examples clearly marked 'Eickholt' auctioned on ebay in the last month.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »
I checked the seller's auctions and the pieces do look like Eickholt pieces to me. Eickholt is not a huge money maker, so I don't know why anyone would forge a signature. I am inclined to agree that it is a variation on the signature.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 04:44:31 AM »
Jonchellycain I think I have the possible answer. I know an advanced Eickholt collector near me & had him look at the pic of your PW. A pic of a 1987 PW of mine (might look a little familiar) is attached that shows what signature normally should look like. He is 90% certain your signature is that of an retired elderly eastern european gentleman, a highly skilled blower that lived in Columbus & was called in by the the studio whenever there was an emergency or excess orders to fill from time to time in the 1980’s. While he was a skilled blower, he was not particularly skilled at  writing the English script Eickholt & most of his production was signed by another blower, however there were times when he signed items that were usually sold in the studio showroom only. It was a surprise that one ended up across the pond, but then again glass travels well. I had never seen this scribbled signature, but he had on occasion so I learned something new. As an aside he thought a significant percentage of the studio inventory at closing was purchased by central Ohio dealers, collectors & shops in hopes the value would rise in the future although he thought it might take a few years.  The secondary Eickholt market here locally in the Midwest has been low for years with PWs averaging around $20-$25 for the most part although vases & bowls are usually double that.  Coincidently another glass studio/gallery owned by Kelsey Murphy & Robert Bomkamp (operated by Kelsey’s daughter) closed just a month later here in Columbus. Kelsey & Robert worked at Pilgrim producing cameo glass for years & now work for Fenton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Eickholt signature variations
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »
Mod: Good result, folks. I have changed the title of this thread to reflect the latest informaton.
KevinH

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: Eickholt signature variations
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
oh thats great to get the ID on this one.
many thanks everyone for the great detective work :hiclp:
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand