No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Powell? No, ID = Stuart peacock eye trail  (Read 2448 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Early Powell? No, ID = Stuart peacock eye trail
« on: October 05, 2005, 05:53:35 PM »
This 14 inch tall vase has a wavy top with amethyst "beads" of glass in the recesses. Concave pontil and usual signs of age on base. Would this be an early Powell?

Ronnie

http://tinypic.com/e9ua8m.jpg

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Early Powell?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »
Hi Ronnie

I think that's a piece of peacock glass by Stuart.  Rather nice, isn't it?  I've only seen it in green before, perhaps the amethyst colour is rarer?

:)

Edit:  I found something similar on Great Glass under Stuart - could someone put the link on?  When I try to do it, the link ends up about three miles long!   :lol:
I am not a man

Offline zidori

• Members
Early Powell?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 07:08:54 PM »
thank you for the response Max. I went on to Great Glass and saw the green example and the smaller amethyst one below which confirms your very accurate assessment.
Much appreciated.
Ronnie

Offline greenyards

• Members
Early Powell?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 01:17:49 PM »
Ronnie,I have a Flared vase/bowl like this in the green/blue colours and spent ages thinking it was Powell.I eventually found it at Whitefriars.com in their 'Mistaken Identities' pages.I think pattern is called 'Cairngorm'.I've added a pic of mine,Justine

http://tinypic.com/ea4l09.jpg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Early Powell?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
This bowl shape in the photo post above this one is featured in a 1909 Harrods catalogue page 950 (source The Journal of The Glass Association volume 5 1997 - page 53)
In the catalogue, that shape features a decoration of 'Drop head dab tails'  the same as the other vases featured on that page ( rather than the peacock eye on this one).  Three of the vases on that page with the same 'Drop head dab tail' decor  have  pattern numbers which match the Stuart pattern number but with the addition of a CH to the number.  The other vases on that page couldn't be found in Gulliver's Vol 4 but appear to be the same decor on different shapes and their numbers are within the same sequence.  The applique on the vase on this thread is the same as checked Stuart appliques on other vases.

Would it be appropriate now to  change the heading to read 'Stuart peacock eye trail' please so it is easier to find for future reference?
thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand