Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Some new info on some old glass (vaseline/canary)

(1/1)

mrvaselineglass:
Hello all
A couple of years ago, i posted a picture of a lidded dish with an attached underplate. The lid had a slot for a spoon on it. I asked if anyone knew the purpose of the dish.  There were several suggestions, including marmalade, chutney, honey, etc.  My collection has grown a bit, and I have also found (with huge assistance from Sid Lethbridge)  [thanks, Sid!] that these were honey pots.  Sid sent me catalog illustrations.  I made a composite picture of the illustrations.  As these are over 100 years old, I am hoping there is no copyright concerns.  The top illustration came from SOWERBY XI catalog (circa around 1885) and the bottom two illustrations came from a KILBER & FIELDING catalog, circa 1890s (+/-).  Both list these as HONEY JAR or MOULDED HONEY dishes.  

The second photo is to show how my collection has grown.  The newest edition is the one in the middle, in a trade with fellow collector Sam Kissee.  The one on the right actually looks like a bee hive!  all have attached underplates, all have slots for spoons on the lid.  I am still trying to figure out who made them, but with the color of honey and the color of these dishes, the two would compliment each other very nicely!  Thanks to both Sid and Sam for their help.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/honeypotcatalogs.jpg
http://www.vaselineglass.org/3honnypot72.jpg

The first image has added text on the .jpg as to where the images were obtained for proper credit)
Dave Peterson
(aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass)

Bernard C:
Hi Dave,

Useful information — Thanks.

--- Quote from: mrvaselineglass ---...   KILBER & FIELDING   ...
--- End quote ---

Actually SILBER & FLEMING.

--- Quote from: mrvaselineglass ---...   I have also found (with huge assistance from Sid Lethbridge)  [thanks, Sid!] that these were honey pots.  Sid sent me catalog illustrations.  I made a composite picture of the illustrations.  As these are over 100 years old, I am hoping there is no copyright concerns.   ...
--- End quote ---

Sid is wonderful, isn't he?   He recently identified my unmarked Burtles Tate Motor Car.

As far as I am aware there is no problem with reproducing any company material over 50 years old.   So a photocopy or a photograph of a photocopy is OK.   Watch for occasional exceptions, such as all Gulliver's drawings, which are his own artwork drawn from the originals, and are therefore fully copyright protected for his lifetime plus 50? years.

Bernard C.  8)

Anne:
75 years I think, Bernard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version