Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass

Help with a mark - Please

(1/2) > >>

obscurities:
The attached photos are of a mark on the underside of a piece of glass. I thought I had an image of the vase, but I don't at the moment. It is a fairly thick glass bowl with multi-colored aventurine in it. The glass is dark, and almost looks a burgundy in color underneath and the aventurine layer is cased in clear. It has tons of age wear on the underside. The bowl is approx 5 inches high and 9 inches in diameter with a nicely dished and polished pontil. Does anyone recognize this mark??  I have included 4 images to see if that helps....  never seen this one, or anything really very similar that I can recall.

TIA  Craig

Anne:
It's a British design registration lozenge, Craig. Take a look at this page to decipher the date from it: http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/lozkey.htm and then check here for the registrant: http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/lozenge6.htm 8)

Bernard C:
Craig — Your bowl was made by Thomas Webb & Sons of Stourbridge, and the rim crimp was to one of two designs registered on November 17, 1882, see Gulliver p271.   Gulliver pp169, 170 (top) illustrates two examples showing similar use of aventurine.   Note the minor transcription error on pp168, 169 showing the registration date incorrectly as November 11, 1882.

Best to include a picture of the whole object — you were lucky this time.

I've two of its mates in stock at the moment, so please let me know if you wish to sell at any time.

Bernard C.  8)

obscurities:
Than you both for the help. I am out of town and thought I had an image of the piece with me in my camera, but alas, only the mark.

Anne, I thought it was a long shot without the bowl image, but I got lucky... 

Thanks, Craig

Anne:
Craig, yours is the first one I've seen a picture of where it's been manually applied like that. I'm sure Bernard will have seen examples before, but I'm more used to seeing them in pressed glass where the lozenge is part of the mould itself. Thanks for showing these as it's interesting to see one done this way. May I add a copy of one of the pics of the lozenge to the Marks album on GlassGallery please?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version