No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bertil Vallien "Chalice"  (Read 2240 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Bertil Vallien "Chalice"
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:52:33 AM »
 Greeting from chilly New Zealand- recently acquired this lovely chunky(10cm X 10cm)  glass bowl-chalice-impressive drinking vessel (ha ha) Bertil Vallien, Boda Afors- these marks I understand but there are various other marks on the base that I know nothing about- would any message boarders care to fill me in?? regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Bertil Vallien "Chalice"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »
It seems to say "Boda-Afors 170:180 m/m B. Vallien" and then a symbol I can not place.  Boda-Afors is of course the Afors factory which was incorporated in the Boda works. The number is a patters number. The date I would think is early seventies. Maybe some one will be able to pinpoint the year?

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:19:16 AM »
The symbol at the end is a scarab  ( I think! Bill Geary would know  :) )which Vallien used at one stage, 60's/70's. I don't know when he stopped using it.

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:41 AM »
I'm sorry to say but its NOT a scarabe. Its simply a happy man. I asked BV some months ago. I also thought it was a scarabe but he just laughed at me.....   :rn:

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »
I'm sorry to say but its NOT a scarabe. Its simply a happy man. I asked BV some months ago. I also thought it was a scarabe but he just laughed at me.....   :rn:
Hej Daniel!
Well, I'll be darned.. you learn something new every day   ;)
All those books ( including biographies ) say it is a scarab   ;D
Thanks for the info!

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
Many many thanks to the message board contributers for the ,always fascinating, information you all have access to. I realise my book shelf is sadly lacking, perhaps I should concentrate on informative books not glass "sobs" regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
Hi Carol!
That is what is so great about collecting and finding something new.. there is always something to learn and even the books can be wrong. ;D
Congratulaions on your chalice, by the way!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand