No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase  (Read 35434 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Unusual Mdina facet cut inside out vase
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »
Some photos of the globe vase and label.

I think the point of sprinklers is they catch a fire very early, the fire does not have as much chance to spread and temperatures remain low. At risk of sounding like a sprinkler salesman, water damage is also reduced as you don't have the fire service emptying half a lake through your missing roof/windows. I guess sprinklers are not common in household settings though, must be a pain to paint your ceilings with sprinkler heads all over them. ;D

I could not resist a photo of a couple of sprinkler heads I bought at a bootsale years ago, had to laugh when I remembered they have glass bits too, vials (right word?) which burst at 68 degrees centigrade opening a valve to spray water off the copper bits below. 

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2009, 12:55:10 PM »
I have been trying to get some decent photos of the internal colouration of these facet cut inside out vases for a while. Last night I got all 'Heath Robinson' and with the aid of an LED strip managed to get some better photos.

I have to add that the darker vase (and first one that I bought) has so much 'mystery' about it.....

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »
That's a very valiant effort, and it helps me, because I know what it is you're showing, but the bottom line is you really need to have it in your own sticky little mitts, don't you?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
Without a doubt Sue, being able to pick a piece of glass up and handle it is the best way to 'get to know' it and also to begin learning to recognise it's siblings.

I had little idea of the pattern in the darker vase until I stuck a bright light inside it and then there it was. 8)

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
 ;)

And I had no idea about the strange optical effects of mine until I stuck my thumb in it!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »
 ;D

The photo is with my finger in it, not my thumb, but you can make out how it appears to shrink.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/more%20glass/eye4.jpg

Here's something to really make you green - one of my very, very best pieces of Mdina. It's a tricorn charger in cobalt blue.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/more%20glass/Cobalt1.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:09 PM »
Wow, I nearly fell of my chair. What a wonderful charger, Mr Harris knew a thing or two about design and glass.  :hiclp:

How many more stunning Mdina gems do you have 'hidden away' Sue? 8)

John 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
 ;D

I think that's about it, mostly. There's a signed "Rosenthal" design charger, and a couple of enormous (17") stoppered bottles, also in the Rosenthal design. I think I've got a few (very) odd bits that didn't work quite so well!

Speaking to Adam A. at the National, he was telling me how a fabby big flatish bowl he had had had ( :spls: ) to be made as an "inside-out" beast, because the decoration was put on the outside, and to get it to appear on the inside, the whole thing had to be turned inside-out. That's the only way I can assume this charger was made, so, thanks Adam! :kissy:

This charger is about 10.25" in diameter, and is slightly triangular. I've never seen or heard of another one like it. It is absolutely gorgeous. 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
Have I shown this piece before? - I can't remember. Again, a very unusual beast. Peter Elliot sold one last year, and I believe there is yet another one apart from mine, so three known. There are some shadowy images in the photographs of the shop shelves at the beginning of the book. It's big, nearly 17". Amethyst, with blue (not cobalt) "strapping".

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/strappedclub2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/Strappedclub1.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Wow  :o :o :o
Amazing pieces!
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand