No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Pressed Glass Bowl by ????? = Sowerby 2505  (Read 2603 times)

Doris

Pink Pressed Glass Bowl by ????? = Sowerby 2505
« on: October 10, 2005, 04:22:26 PM »
Have spent the last two hours trawling the pressed glass sites and come up with zilch .
This is a monster of a bowl as you can see but it does have a well in the centre as if something else maybe a frog should be there. Can any of you help me out with this one please?

Thank you
Doris

http://tinypic.com/eh19w1.jpg

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Pink Pressed Glass Bowl by ?????
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:10:20 PM »
It is certainly pressed.  At first glance I thought it was Sowerby 2505 (wherever did all these later weird names come from?) but I can't be sure from the photo.  Could we have a side view. please?

Adam D.

Doris

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 08:54:18 PM »
Here we go Adam side view. The depth is 5" to top of highest point.
White background shows up better.

http://tinypic.com/ehepsz.jpg

Is that any help

Regards
Doris

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 02:58:08 AM »
Quote from: "Adam"
It is certainly pressed.  At first glance I thought it was Sowerby 2505 (wherever did all these later weird names come from?) but I can't be sure from the photo.  Could we have a side view. please?

Yes, like you, Adam, I am sure it is a footed 2505 Salad, as described in an early '30s trade catalogue.   The version with the turned-over rim was then called a 2505 Centre Piece.   Quite a different mould to the 2505 Lily, Iris and Celery, which came in four sizes (L, S, Posy and ?) and need more careful attribution as the two large sizes (L and S) were copied by a glassworks in mainland Europe.   All of which goes to show that you should never ever call your first two sizes Large and Small, as you are left with a problem if you subsequently produce larger or smaller versions!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »
I'm still not 100% sure, but my best guess would agree with Bernard that it's the 2505 salad.  We made quite a lot of these in my time (although not in pink) and I'm still puzzled by my own uncertainty!  In view of the colour this must have been made after, or possibly before then.

Adam D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand