No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: black glass frog...ribbit ribbit kind, not flower kind ditchfield??  (Read 1696 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
and another one from the weekend... quite funny (i know its wrong to laugh at non glass people :24:) as i picked it up i turned to jon and said "ohh look at this glass frog" the lady behind the stall quite abruptly said " thats not glass its soap stone" so i just said  "well i never..you learn something new all the time!!" payed the £1.50 and walked of chuckling...
Well its made from a pourous feeling glass (not nice a smooth or tactile) It is Black glass not a deep purple with a mottled/stretched white over the top. It is very similar to Ditchfield frogs but i dont think it is a ditchfield one, ive had a few and the shape is a bit off so though maybe Neo glass (chris Heaton) But ive never seen either of there work in black glass like this before. Its completely wrong for Iestyn Davies so im 100% sure not one of his
It isnt marked at all (generally chris signs everything).
Does anybody have any ideas, or know of other companies/glass blowers who do this style of frog??
nose to tail 12cms ...do frog have tails?? nose to bottom 12cms
many thanks
michelle

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: black glass frog...ribbit ribbit kind, not flower kind ditchfield??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
sorry forgot the photo's..well it is almost midnight  :sleep:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:56 AM »
If it's not Chinese, it could be from Murano and by Seguso. Can't find many pictures still on the board. I think it might be pasta glass

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18888.msg109966.html#msg109966

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:20:09 PM »
It is a handsome little frog. It doesn't look like the Seguso bianco nero pieces. I wish I could help with an origin, but many countries make glass similar to this. No matter where it was made, it is handsome. I'll check to make sure it is not a Seguso piece.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
I checked many Seguso pieces. The ones I saw were predominantly white (spots) on the outside, with a little black showing through. The only place where I saw streaks of white was on the necks of the birds and mammals. From the looks of the base of the frog, I would say it is probably made in a similar way, but probably not Seguso. Of course, I could be wrong -- I often am.  :huh:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand