No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: wedgwood stennett willson or scandi ??  (Read 3460 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
wedgwood stennett willson or scandi ??
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
Hi there
I picked this up at the weekend thinking it was more than likely Wedgwood/stennett willson, but ive been searching books and have found a few similar pieces of riihimaki, which has left me unsure.
I think its a water carrafe as there is no sign that it ever had a stopper no marks inside the neck at all. beautiful blue colour (very wedgwood) cased in clear glass. The base is smooth and very well polished apart from the pontil mark which has been left rough.  surface wear to the base.
It stands at 26cms tall 10.5cms in diameter
Nice quality
many thanks
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: wedgwood stennett willson or scandi ??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »
i'm not doing very well today, here are some pictures..sorry  :sleep:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:00:19 PM »
A pontil mark like that is either Polish or Chinese....

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:12:04 PM »
REALLY !! i thought quality might be too good to be honest, but hey you guys know a heck of a lot more than i do (give me time  :24:)
michelle

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »
 :-[  Well.....it looks very much like the bottle part of Wedgwood Saturn's Rings decanter.  I've got a couple, my clear one does have a polished (if slightly misshapen) pontil mark...and the blue one's in the shed, so you'll have to wait a bit.  The colour looks right though.

I am not a man

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »
It looks like a RSW Wedgwood design to me - a decanter as Max has already said, missing it's stopper, although I understood it to have a different name than the one she quoted 'Saturn'.  The colour is absolutely spot on and the original stopper is very simple in clear glass with a bubble.  I'll check my books out - I've had one of these in the past but can't locate my photos at the moment.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:08:29 AM »
Thanks for the research guys, I would imagine if it was sold with a stopper it must have been lost/broken very quickly as there is not a single mark in the neck not even friction rub it is sperfectly smooth
thanks
michelle

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
That's the one although the stopper on that looks to be *slightly* different to how I remember mine which didn't have the 'waisted' part.  Your colour is Steel Blue.  Still looking for the info I had on my decanter.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:08:14 AM »
Sorry I see no likeness between the one on e-bay and yours. I juxtaposed and overlapped them in ppt and the shape is definitely different - the waist on the RSW decanter is much lower and the quality seems much higher.  Plus I cannot imagine any British company leaving a course ground pontil on any piece.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand