No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano vaseline lady & swan  (Read 3143 times)

Offline glassnut52

• Members
Murano vaseline lady & swan
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:23:06 AM »
Hello, I picked up this vaseline lady & swan at a thrift store. The lady is about 9" tall x 6 1/2" wide, and I believe the signature is Cedenese Murano. The swan is 6 1/2" high. I like to know when they were made & estimated value, and anything else you might know about them.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Murano vaseline lady & swan
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 06:55:22 AM »
Mike:

They look like quite well made pieces from Murano, Italy. Cenedese was a very reputable company. 1960's?  Is the body of the lady as solid as she appears to be?

Value is harder to pin down as it depends on where you sell them (in a thrift shop, for example). The lady is worth more than the swan, I'd say, but how much depends on a lot on factors (condition, how detailed, quality of work, e.g.) that I can't tell from the picture. If you look at eBay under Glass- art- Italian, you'll be able to get a rough idea of value there. Remember, though, that a good portion of the glass in that section isn't what collectors would call genuine Murano, and yours are.

I'd have thought the bird was Cenedese, not the woman. She's quite unusual. I'll be watching this thread to see what other more knowledgeable people say.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:49:54 AM »
Can we see the signature please

Offline glassnut52

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »
The Lady is solid glass, blue glass encased in vaseline, the whole piece glows under black light. I assumed the swan was Murano because it was found in the same store & also glows. The signature on the lady looks like Cenesdese Murano. Here is a link for better pictures.

Mike

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj123/rats52ass/?action=tags&current=Murano

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »
Looks like Cenedese to me too. Is that a date '97?

Offline glassnut52

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
The number by the signature is 979.
Mike

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:18:38 PM »
Much better pictures, thank you. The swan looks very much a Cenedese piece to me, although Seguso did similar pieces. I like the simple design which is elegant and clean. It's very like a bird  I own. I paid very little for it on eBay, although it's one of my favourite pieces. Cenedese was one of the few Murano companies to sign its works, but it's not unusual for a bird like this not to be signed.

The woman looks like a very nice piece, and I wouldn't expect to be able to pick that up cheaply on eBay. It's not something I recognize, although the colours and the technique are consistent with the work that Cenedese produced. Typical Cenedese figural pieces are more stylized and modern, like the bird, especially when designed by Antonio Da Ros, who worked  a lot with vaseline glass.. The top of this lady harkens back to more traditional Murano figural work, and yet the bottom is far more typical of the 50's/60's. I've no idea of value, except to say that it should fetch above the usual generic Murano tourist pieces, such as the bird. I confess I'd keep both, but, then, I find it hard to let anything appealing go.

BTW, assuming two pieces come from the same place because they were in the same shop is a little risky. I've seen collections for sale with pieces from widely disparate places, yet all having some common feature.

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline glassnut52

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
Thanks for the help David.
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum