No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard suncatchers?  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Holmegaard suncatchers?
« on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
I bought these suncatchers as Holmegaard and I have found 3 of them (or something very similar) on the excellent Holmegaard resource site here

http://www.holmegaardresource.com/function_suncatcher.html

The fourth one, the darker blue one,  is quite small (5.5cm diameter) and has a pattern that I haven't seen anywhere, can anyone confirm that it is also Holmegaard please?

I am using the sellers photo's with permission.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
    • HarderNet.dk DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Re: Holmegaard suncatchers?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 08:17:35 AM »
Hej

One can not really be sure on the sun catchers shown.

Have seen them many times on the Internet and also here in Denmark, but I do not have the type in any catalogue from Holmegaard.

The sun catchers that I call Noah’s Ark with a simple boat with animals (giraffe, elephant and so on) are from Holmegaard Glasswork and designed by Michael Bang in 1967 together with a range on Letter-Weights.

That do not means that you sun catchers is not Holmegaard but I have never seen them i any Holmegaard catalogue, could be after hours work by glassworkers as well og from source, it is hard to.

You can explorer my website "Brugsglas galleri" Art glass gallery for "Platter" way down alphabetic under P for Plates.
Peter

DANISH GLASSWORKS RESOURCE MUSEUM
Holmegaard Glasswork, Kastrup Glasswork, Fyens Glasswork
HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »
The suncatchers with the three swirls are Holmegaard - I've had several in colours that exactly match the Noah's Ark series, and one in the Smoke colourway.

Not sure about the smaller one. I have seen these miniature ones, originally designed as necklace pendants - or so I've been told. One of my dealer colleagues has one with the three swirls illustrated above, about the same size as your small one.

Their absence in the factory catalogues could mean that they were sold through the factory shop, or were commissioned for another company to distribute.

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »
The suncatchers with the three swirls are Holmegaard - I've had several in colours that exactly match the Noah's Ark series, and one in the Smoke colourway.

Not sure about the smaller one. I have seen these miniature ones, originally designed as necklace pendants - or so I've been told. One of my dealer colleagues has one with the three swirls illustrated above, about the same size as your small one.

Their absence in the factory catalogues could mean that they were sold through the factory shop, or were commissioned for another company to distribute.

Your probably right, but you can not be sure, we have a lot of small glassblowing studios around in Denmark employing 1 or more persons and they do make a lot of different artglass and stemware, so many of these different sun catchers could very well be from another studio, several of the Holmegaard designers do have there own local glass studio f.ex Anja Kjær and Peter Svarrer and they make a lot of there own glass productions, but that do not make it from Holmegaard Glasswork.
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
Thank you both for your comments :)

I am interested that the small one might be a pendant, I just tried it on a chain but it loses all its pattern against the skin or clothes, so I think I will put it back in the window   ;D

Nice website Peter, thanks, I have bookmarked it.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »
The 'Smoke' colourway does seem exclusive to the factory - I've not seen that particular grey-green anywhere else. So I'd be 99.99% certain that the swirled ones are Holmegaard.

The only way I could think that they're not Holmegaard is if the factory sold its unwanted cullet (waste glass) to local glassmakers.

As far as I know, the following suncatcher is not catalogued either, but it is definitely Kastrup or Holmegaard (the motif being designed by Jacob Bang for the Antikgrøn series).

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
The 'Smoke' colourway does seem exclusive to the factory - I've not seen that particular grey-green anywhere else. So I'd be 99.99% certain that the swirled ones are Holmegaard.

The only way I could think that they're not Holmegaard is if the factory sold its unwanted cullet (waste glass) to local glassmakers.

As far as I know, the following suncatcher is not catalogued either, but it is definitely Kastrup or Holmegaard (the motif being designed by Jacob Bang for the Antikgrøn series).

Hej Nic

Your probably right, but they can easy have been made one of the 50 or more glasshouses in Dk were they make a lot of different types of these suncatchers and item in glass as necklace pendants.
The motif on your suncatcher photo does look like Antikgrøn series, but I did see glass plates on Orkney Island with very similarly motive that does look very Celtic like.

Think it is very hard to determain for certain if the many various suncatcher to be from Holmegaard, in lack of documentation.
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
Hej Peter.

I agree that with a lack of catalogue evidence it can be hard to say which suncatchers and pendants came from what factory with any absolute certainty - and so quite often we have to rely on instinct and experience until something more reliable turns up.

I've also got this one, also a motif from Antikgrøn:

Offline HarderNet.dk

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »
Hej Peter.

I agree that with a lack of catalogue evidence it can be hard to say which suncatchers and pendants came from what factory with any absolute certainty - and so quite often we have to rely on instinct and experience until something more reliable turns up.

I've also got this one, also a motif from Antikgrøn:

Yes, I can see that it looks very much like the vase, but it is, what should I say, made with a positive stamp, but if you look at the blue plate with Celtic man it is made with a negative stamp, and to me it looks like most of Holmegaard plates are made in negative stamp - hope it makes sense written in English  :mrgreen:
Peter

HarderNet.dk

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
I understand what you mean - the stick figure on the suncatcher is also positive / raised, like on the Antikgrøn vases and bowls. I think they just reused the same press-mould from the Antikgrøn series for the suncatchers.

They don't seem to be worker's frigger / fusk items, as I've seen a few of them around in various Kastrup and Holmegaard colours (the two above use colours from Capri series and Grøn series).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand