No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue vase optic ribbing - HELP with ID  (Read 3169 times)

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
Blue vase optic ribbing - HELP with ID
« on: July 04, 2009, 02:48:11 AM »
This vase appears to have all the characteristics of a Whitefriars. It comes in a sapphire blue colour - I have a ribbon trail Whitefriars vase in the same colour - but this shape does not feature anywhere in the catalogues with internal horizontal optic ribbing. The polished pontil is on the base. Any ideas?
all text and pictures © twenty21

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Blue vase optic ribbing - HELP with ID
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:38:29 PM »
I had a similar vase in yellow with the same optic ribbed pattern, more barrel shaped though. I assumed it was by Webb but that was just a wild guess. Many glass works made similar designs I think from the 30s until maybe the 50s or 60s, what sold by one company got copied by another, commercial imperative I guess.

Nice though and underrated.

John.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:14:22 AM »
One day it might be worth trying to pin some of these down using the width of the ribs and the colour ranges.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:52:21 AM »
Carlo, John & Cathy — Over the last year I've seen three similar vases, all slightly different shapes, that looked like Webb, S&W/RB or Whitefriars certainties until I picked them up.   They were too light and the rims were wrong.   Now, I could be being overcautious, but I am starting to think that the examples I saw might be recent.

If you can get it to a large general antiques fair or a reputable auction house, Carlo, you should be able to find someone who will help.

Once you know it's OK, then you need to establish which of the three made it — as John says, not always easy!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline twenty21

• Members
    • twenty21
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »
Hello Bernard

Thanks for your feedback. After some research and assistance from many helpful people,  I can now limit the likely manufacturer of this piece to either Kastrup or Holmegaard. I have a reasonably good knowledge of Holmegaard but I was perplexed by the lack of signature. I have been told that Holmegaard started regularly signing pieces in the 1950s. I have manages to find a Kastrup drinking set with glasses exactly in this shape and colour and with the same optic ribbing. Whitefriars was easy to exclude since their optic ribbing was limited to 3 shapes and this was not one of them. Thanks heaps. Carlo
all text and pictures © twenty21

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
just dropping two extra names of companies who made/ make lookalikes:

Pasabahce

Libbey

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 06:32:08 AM »
I don't think your's is, but just for the record Tiffin's Swedish Optic pattern is similar. It came in their colours Copen Blue, Twilight (neodymium) and Wisteria. This is allegedly one with a horrible gold rose.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand