No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Leni Opal Open in blue  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
For Leni Opal Open in blue
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 09:47:05 AM »
Hi Terry - yes, lots and lots of information on David McKinley's venture....it's all (photos too) in "A Century of Carnival Glass"  :lol:

David had his glass "poured" by Fenton. The first was a series in the style of Northwood's Grape & Cable items (a new mould was used, inspired by the G&C pattern). The second series was based on the Dolphin card receiver shape (David used the original mould but ensured that they were very different...and signed...to the old original ones).. I have whimsies and originals in both of the series. Very beautiful.

There is nothing in the works right now, as far as I know, but if I hear of anything I will let you know.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 09:52:37 AM »
For Leni and others who wondered what Glen and I are talking about when we say "Peach Opalescent" I am taking this opportunity to post a pic of the one and only piece I have.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/Muscadale/TBeadedPanelspeachoapalescent.jpg
No your eyes do not deceive you, the stem is a bit wonky.
Enjoy Terry

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 10:53:35 AM »
:shock:  :D Fantastic, Terry!  :D  and I can see the resemblance to mine!  Isn't it fascinating how the same basic shape could be so wonderfully varied in the hands of those expert glassmakers?  :shock:

And Glen, thank you so much for that wonderful history of the Northwood / Dugan families!   :D

We are so lucky to have such wonderful contributors to this board!

Leni
Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 11:17:41 AM »
Glen, thank you for such telling us this fascinating story of the Northwoods and Dugans. I hadn't known before that they were related... Peter keeps telling me that the glass world is very small and I'm beginning to realise just what he means now. Thank you again.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 01:40:26 PM »
Adam D555 - re your question:
you mention the original Northwood mould was passed on to Dugan, so that would mean the ruffled edge?

The shape that is shown in the early ad for the#562 is a rose bowl (cupped in). It has a scalloped top edge - this would have been made by the top ring (part of the mould/plunger). The item that came hot from the mould could have been shaped in various ways, which would include ruffling or tight candy ribbon crimping (as shown on Terry's gorgeous peach opal example). It could have been cupped in, flared out etc. too.

Terry - beautiful piece of Carnival, thanks for showing the pic. It's gorgeous.

Anne - the relationships between the Carnival Glass makers (like so many other glass makers) are fascinating. Here's a few others. Fenton and Imperial were linked by marriage. Fenton and Millersburg were linked directly (John Fenton started the Millersburg glass works).

And for anyone interested - here's a pic of four different opalescent Carnival pieces:

top row  left to right: DRAGON AND LOTUS in aqua opal; DRAGON AND LOTUS in vaseline opal with a pastel iridescence.
bottom row left to right: DRAGON AND LOTUS in peach opal; PEACOCK AND GRAPE in vaseline opal with a butterscotch iridescence

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 05:22:52 PM »
Glen, you are in grave danger of turning us all into carnival glass afficionados and then we'll buy it all up and leave none for you!   :P   :lol:

Seriously, I like the opal/peachy coloured ones rather than the strong orange/marigold. It was that strong orange colour that put me off carnival really - I'm not an orange person. The bluey/greeny colours you've shown us before and these opally coloured ones are gorgeous.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2005, 05:39:39 PM »
Anne, yes, I also love the blue shades - especially when the iridescence is electric and shimmering with rose and purple.

Of course, most people think of marigold when Carnival is mentioned - it is the most frequently found colour, and there are certainly a lot of rather poor, flat and weak examples of it too. But there are also some examples of pastel marigold around. Don't misunderstand - true pastel marigold is not a shiny, silvery weak effect. It's a shimmering, magical iridescence that, with the right lighting, is Drop Dead Gorgeous. It's also hard to find.  :cry:

And so as we began this thread by talking about Northwood's glass, how about a piece of Northwood's pastel marigold in the Peacocks pattern, to give an accolade for good old Harry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand