No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival / Pressed Glass ID  (Read 3882 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Carnival / Pressed Glass ID
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:07:01 AM »
Ahhh so little to do - working for myself in the office which is also my collection headquarters - I am so easily tempted to post - well I like to answer and debate as well, if I can

Carnival Glass - I have had nice bits - the 'Good Luck' plates in all colours (well Amethyst, Marigold) and some nice opalescent bowls and the like

But I am always at a loss with some bits I have, Depression or Pressed glass as well as Carnival

So here are a few bits I have tried to ID but cannot

Large glass barrel with acorns all over in Marigold
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/box.jpg

Set of these Marigold Windmill pattern - not Imperial I checked the Windmill is different and mine have lots of flowers around edge
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/plates.jpg

Scottie Dog Ashtray in yellow pressed glass, seen similar on presglas site but a Stag
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/scotties.jpg

A humble but perfect dimpled bottle with lovely dimpled cone shaped stopper
http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/bottle%20dimple%20copy.jpg

mmmmm

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:03:50 AM »
I think it is cruel to stubb out your ciggie butts in a scottie dog ashtray.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:05:05 PM »
Thanks Pamela

btw - I love your website, I have made many matches from it in the past month

Ivo .... mmmmmm  :shock:  :shock:  - I don't smoke (if I did I would use a stuffed Panda paw as an ashtray), anyway I wanted to ask you off topic, your post info says Holland (Netherlands), and your second name kinda says it all - your grammar is really good, and your work on the Miller's guide is very fluid (btw - do they do the guide in other languages?)

I mean …. I am not beefing up the English language against other languages, after all I am from Glasgow, which is a country in a country outside the UK .... :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  - just being nosey

Adam D555
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 09:16:42 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
I am from Glasgow, which is a country in a country outside the UK .... :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  - just being nosey
Adam D555

I think I have bad news for you about the status of Scotland.... :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Anyway, Holland is correct, I'm even aliener than thou. And no, there are no plans to do the A-Z guide in Spanish or Estonian.  :D

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:04:46 AM »
Adam - sorry for the delay in responding to this query on Carnival - I've been away for a few days and have only just returned.

I can help with your two Carnival items, but your other two pieces are more of a mystery. Anyhow, here goes.

The first item - your glass barrel with acorns - is Jeanette's Acorn or Stippled Acorn covered box. It's been discussed in the past so you may get a bit more info from this thread if you're interested.*

The second query is in fact a pair of Windmill bowls. These are Imperial. The pattern is known is several variations (with a church, with a bridge and so on). The variations are noted/ described in "Carnival Glass: The Magic & The Mystery"). You said you didn't think it was Windmill because of the flowers - what made you think that?

Your other two pieces are interesting - I like the ashtray  :lol: I have a couple of similar items that I believe are Czech (mine are iridised on the motif/feature). Tell me.....is the base ground flat and polished? Are the dog motifs "cut in" (actually moulded) into the piece on the base?

The pattern on the bottle is like so many hobnail styles. Fenton and Imperial both made similar patterns - but the shape is not exactly like anything I know. Brockwitz too did some hobnail designs, but the shape and form isn't right for them. Is the base ground? It may help a little?

Glen

*Mod: Old thread has gone; here's the info from it about Jeanette's Stippled Acorn:
Quote from: Glen
This is not Classic (original, old) Carnival - it is Late Carnival, probably made in circa 1950s. This item (referred to as a candy jar and cover) was shown in shell pink milk glass in a Jeanette 1958-59 catalog.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 07:30:56 PM »
Thanks Glen                                        (I love your website as well)

That is very informative - most kind of you

I see the ‘Acorn Pattern’ thread - 'Jeannette Glass' Acorn or Stippled Acorn pattern candy jar c1950s - it cost £1.00 so I was glad to see one sell for £15.00 on eBay - I will be keeping mine - I have a collection of the these square jars, all different designs - It looks so deco, amazing to know it was made nearer the 1960s - I reminds me always to be cautious when buying any expensive items that dealers have out as 1930s

I have only recently found out my Inwald bowls are perhaps post war as well
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2710.0.html - what do you think - note they never answer my question about the difference in the two bowls I have - one in two parts (blue), other three parts (amber), what do you think

I thought there was only one variation of Imperial 'Windmill' - I am beginning to learn that with carnival (and pressed glass) there are often many adaptations of the same design - I have been reading up about companies selling moulds to other companies and making subtle changes, etc - see my Inwald thread above and you will see I understand :wink:  :wink:   :shock:  :?

The ashtray is moulded glass with the dog design ‘cut into’ the base to give a three dimensional effect - it is frosted or left unpolished - it has the feel of being done by hand (or a cutting machine?) after the item was made, not during the original moulding - I like it because Scottie dog collectables are cute - I paid £0.50 but have been offered £30.00 for this just because of the Scottie dog connection LOL

Ref the bottle - I agree this is like hobnails I see on the Carnival site - I also collect diamond cut goblets with star cut bases - the bottle base is really very well done, it's got a 4mm round foot and the bottom is concave, it has been ground down and then highly polished, I can see this from the sharp edges and area where the grinder has gone off balance just at one side - funny I have never seen a hand finished base like this on a piece of pressed glass, mind you there are no mould lines on the bottle and you can only see a slight one at the top of the cone stopper – it isn’t worth much, just nice to get an attribution and know if it came as a range?

Thanks

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:

btw these are the star cut goblets I collect - I have sets of 7" blue ones and 5" white ones - milk glass I think they are called - who are they by again? - they have the star moulded bottom but the surface has been polished flat – were these actually used or decorative, my God the set of six blue ones :roll:  – each weighs 1lb – I must set the table at Xmas with them to see what people think LOL

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 07:36:02 AM »
David, thanks for the extra info.

I suspect that your ashtray is Czech - your description fits with the ones I have. Incidentally, I have one with some sort of bulldog on it - the dog is in marigold iridescence.

And I've seen those goblets before, but I'm darned if I can recall the maker. Someone here is sure to know  :shock:

Re. the Windmill - yes several variations to that design. Plus there was also a footed bowl that has two windmills. That is a different pattern again (Double Dutch). They are very sought after in purple Carnival and smoke. But if you find a Windmill in red - then it's a modern repro!

You mentioned that you
have been reading up about companies selling moulds to other companies and making subtle changes, etc.

Yes, absolutely. It makes it quite difficult to attribute items sometimes. Old Classic Carnival is not too difficult, in that respect. But European Carnival can be very challenging at times, for that very reason.

One particular pattern (Sunk Daisy aka Amerika) began life in the USA (Cambridge) - but is also found in Carnival made by Riihimaki in Finland and Eda Glasbruk in Sweden. Very confusing  :roll:

BTW - I suspect that the separate Fish flower centre was the later production (at Rudolfova Hut).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 03:43:46 PM »
Thanks Glen

Great info as always

I also think my blue fish centre-piece is earlier, it is finished better with mild lines ground down and the fish is just more lively, it's tail fin twists and turns and the body shape is more animated - also there are more scratches on base than on my amber one which does look very clean - I don't know Rudofova Hut, you know better than me ref Czech glass post war, it is a new are for me and I am just starting to learn from guys like Marcus and yourself - I do love it as it's cheap at the moment and is an unknown territory that is ready to explode, also so many other countries did stuff that get wrongly attributed to Czech (especially 1950s on) - Marcus has written a great article on Sklo Union - see his post on this forum

I think my ashtray which when placed on a light surface looks like sulphide decoration is also Czech, date - a lot of dealers have down as deco, well the Scottie was great deco motif and the shape seems right - I'd love to see your piece?

Adam D555

I have loads of Czech (or perhaps not) of great beauty 1900s (Bohemian) to a growing collection of retro or 50s - 70s glass - I have posted it and had about 10 different attributions? am sometimes a little confused - I think its cos it's a new area even for the experts - very exciting though

There are some good collectors pages in their infancy, but they have like lots of Czech and Bohemian labels with the items

It's like W German pottery - I collect that and wow some is so great and starting to build in value as names of designers come out

A whole new world always seems to be calling

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 11:10:53 PM »
guys like Marcus and yourself

Ermmmm Adam, our Glen is definitely a gal not a guy. ;)

Piccie in last post not working I'm afraid - gives a 404 Not Found.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand