No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 3955 times)

Offline suzi99

• Members
Any ideas?
« on: October 09, 2005, 12:14:05 AM »
I recently purchased this pair of vases at auction.  They stand around 15 inches tall.  I was wondering if they could be Murano, if not any ideas?
You can find pic on link below.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 07:55:21 AM »
Our local chinese supermarket just opened a non-food department with assorted giftware and I saw verrrry similar vases in there - don't know where they're produced, though.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 09:51:09 PM »
I don't think these are Chinese - I think people are obsessed with Chinese glass lately!  This pair of vases have been individually made, they're not identical...and they're not cased like link Adam put on.

Eeeeek!  I feel a bit out on a limb now... :lol: ....I should shut up... :shock:  :lol:  :wink:
I am not a man

Offline suzi99

• Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 10:50:09 PM »
Yeah I agree Max I just have a feeling about them I definitely dont think they are Chinese.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 09:08:58 AM »
I don't think they're chinese either. Was it something I said? :roll:

Offline suzi99

• Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:15:15 AM »
:twisted: Yeah I don't think they're cheap & nasty I mean I wouldn't have bought them if they were - there was a few interested bidders on the day of the auction when I got them too, which made me think they could be something interesting   Either way I think they are rather groovy in a retro fun sort of way. :roll:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Ni hao!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 10:33:17 AM »
I just visited the Chinese shop and spoke to the owner. She had a number of very similar vases, large white loopings on a clear-to-blue or clear-to-pink background, smooth polished base and of impeccable quality and she confirmed that these are, in fact, Chinese.  Other products from the same factory include square shapes in clear glass you'd swear were Krosno, and multicoloured long necked vases with fancy s-bends that are normally associated with the baltic states.

Offline suzi99

• Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:40:55 AM »
They don't have smooth polished bases ivo they have rough bases on them. :?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 10:48:06 AM »
and?

Offline suzi99

• Members
Any ideas?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 10:58:00 AM »
and you mentioned the lady said the Chinese vases had smooth polished bases these dont have smooth polished bases so maybe they are not the same or maybe they are, I have no idea :?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand