No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: IOW rare Blue and White swirl charger and globe vase  (Read 8476 times)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
IOW rare Blue and White swirl charger and globe vase
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:31:04 AM »
as promised here are some pictures of my Blue and White swirl pieces. Ive chatted with Mark Hill about these some time back and he was quite surprised as both pieces have the flame pontil mark mark to the base and it was previously believed all blue and white swirl just had the coachbolt pontil mark.
The first pictures are of the globe vase which has the flame mark and  early "handmade Isle of wight" sticker. The vase is 12.5cms in diameter, 9.5cms tall, rim 9cms in diameter opening 4.5cms in diameter. I was lucky enough to pick this up at a car boot sale for £5.00 a few years back. ;D

Its hard to see the detail from the pictures as the white is quite subtle but shows through more on the neck and rim. Unfortunitly its not signed. Blue and white swirl was one of the early experimantal colour ways, it has blue streaks on clear glass with opaque white
From what i know, there where only 3 shapes made in this colourway the globe, the charger and a 16.5cm diam dish (page 73 of Mark Hills Michael Harris book). Does anybody have any pics of the dish or own any other blue and white swirl, i would love to see it.
I will add some pics of the charger in a few moments

michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
Re: IOW rare Blue and White swirl charger and globe vase
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
Here are some of the charger, now im no photographer so i really cant do justice to this piece in the pictures. It really is beautiful in real life. It is 42cms in diameter and 6.5cms in height. I wasnt quite so lucky with this one in the sense that i paid £400 for this at a charity auction, but its well worth it, (i think it cost me more than my first car!!!). I am truely, madly deeply in love with this piece.. its my "if your house was on fire whats the one object you would grab" ;D
Again this has the flame pontil mark to the base, unfortunitly no signiature or stickers on this one though.
michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
WoW - It's massive and gorgeous and massively gorgeous! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I far prefer this to the pink stuff (I'm not fond of pink, in fact, I really rather detest it, especially if it's pastel - lurid can be ok.) and to the Tortoiseshell - though it's a similar design - all spirally and swirly - now just I'm blethering in awe. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
haha, thanks, im not to keen on the pink & blue swirl.. but i do have a piece that may change your mind, i showed it to ron quite some time back now.
I bought this piece at an antiques fair for £10, It is like the pink and blue swirl but it has the 1990's sticker on it. I cant find Rons email now but he thought it may have been a designer/blower at the studio recreating the pink and blue swirl.
The colours are much deeper in this vase, i find the original pinks a little insipid and watery.
If your ever out my way your more than welcome to come and stroke my charger ;D

michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
That is an interesting variation! You are most welcome to come and fondle my glass if you're ever up my way too. :thup: (Dundee - pm for address)

I have two pieces of pink and blueswirl - a small cylinder, and a small globe. An interesting observation of these pieces is that in SOME of them, the pink goes green in sunlight (mostly when the light is coming through it.) I don't know if this is a proper dichroic effect, or simply a normal effect of absorption of wavelengths of light.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 11:17:25 AM »
did you say you had some seaward  pieces? i dont have any myself, infact i dont remember having ever seen a piece in real life. I am always searching for the more unusual pieces, often ive been very lucky and found things at car boots sales at bargain prices.
 I would love to see some pics of your collection do you have them online anywhere?
michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:28:26 AM »
 :spls:

I was sure I have 6 bits of Seaward - but can only find 5 atm. Now I'm worried!

Sorry, no, I don't have an online albumy thing - I'm a bit vague about photography and technostuff.

I've always found Seaward particularly difficult to photograph, but might give it another go soon  (heehee, time to make you green - Seaward signed, attenuated bottle.... a particularly glorious one)

Are you a member of the IoWSG forum? I've put quite a few photobucket images up there, of early unusual Mdina.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:34:44 AM »
oh wow :o , harris signed i presume.., you will have to try and get a picture on here now you cant just say it and not show me  ;D.
I have a bit of a struggle getting pictures on here to the best way ive found is to lower the MP on the camera, take photo from a distance (well a few feet) and then crop/cut it down as small as i can. I wouldnt know where to start having a website album thing, i must ask my other half if he could sort something out for me as id love to have an album of all the glass i sell and of my own collection for future reference. I may have to do one in a folder or something if i cant work out how to do it on line
michelle

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
no im not on the forum, can you send me a link for it would love to have a look

michelle

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 12:30:18 PM »

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/

Forum:- (or just scroll down to the link on the menu on the left hand side)

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/SMF/index.php

I tend to try to use the close-up and extra close-up bit of the camera, but have problems then with focus - sometimes, if it's a big piece, or I've got a few pieces to fit in to the picture it's too big to fit in. Hence lack of focus in the image of the 4 Chinese bowls.

Major problem is actually setting the silly thing - it's a bit hit and miss. Seaward looks best using flash, but I try to keep that switched off - it changes colours too much.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand