No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Which Boda designer?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Which Boda designer?
« on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »
Any suggestions for the designer of this Boda bowl? It's clear glass, heavy, with the pattern along the rim seemingly created by copper wheel engraving, and an applied prunt at the end.  It's 3" at its tallest, 5 1/2" wide, and 6" long. My ancient eyes see the writing on the bottom as Boda 1 2 5 / (or 4) 8 F * (or very small a) - m.

Any help much appreciated.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: Which Boda designer?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:43:45 AM »
Hi David, What is that at the rear left of the bowl?

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:11:40 AM »
Aine:

It's a glass disc (prunt?) which has been applied to the bowl, and then its surface roughened by a copper wheel, I think. The label is also unusual. I'll add a copy of very quickly taken photographs to see if that helps.

Thanks.

David

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
I've seen the shape before but that is about it. And I don't remember where  :'(  I haven't seen the label before, I'm sure someone else will have done. Could it be from the late 60's, start of the 70's?

Here is a list of the designers connected with Boda glassworks, maybe that will help a little?
 Gabriel Burmeister 1920-25, Fritz Kallenberg 1925-68, Erik Höglund 1953-73, Elsa Fahlström in the 1950s, Monica Backström 1965 -? ( older article) 

Rolf Sinn Mark periodically 1964-86, Signe Persson-Melin 1967-75, Nils-Gunnar Zander early 1970s and Kjell Engman, 1978. Elli Hemberg, John Kandell, Lena Larsson and Margareta Hennix hired before the 100th anniversary in 1964. 

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 05:01:35 AM »
Aine:

Thanks for the information. Do you know whether the Boda signature included a code for the designer? Might the F at the end stand for Elisa Fahlstrom? (I was secretly hoping it might be a Hoglund piece.)

Thanks again for the time you've spent and the details you've provided.

David

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 05:13:25 AM »
No, I don't know but I will trawl around a bit and see what I can find later in the day  ;D
Always interesting to find new info!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:18:43 PM »
The signature also looks a bit like Boda I (or F?) 25/8 or 2518, ignoring the following letters (maybe an engravers mark?). A piece by Erik Hoglund that I have here is signed Boda H 1998, so maybe a designer with a surname starting with I or F. A long shot...

John.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »
John:

Looking at the piece closely again, it could that it is an "F" that follows the Boda.  That increases the possibility that the designer was Elsa Fahlström, but that's very speculative. One problem is that I can't find anything about her or the work she produced.

I like the piece, but I confess another reason I bought it was because I'd read that Hoglund did some engraved pieces early on, which I haven't seen, and wondered if this was one of those.

Oh well, I don't know the parent, but I love the child.

David

Offline anwach

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Hi David, I have a assymetric glas bowl with similar ornaments (engraving lines) which is signed a follow: "Fahlstrom Boda 1954".
Hope it helps a bit.

Best regards from Frankfurt
Andreas

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
Andreas:

Thank you, I think that very much answers my question. It was not an expensive piece but I like it, particularly as it is quit an early piece.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand