No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Höglund inspired ashtrays - a mystery  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Höglund inspired ashtrays - a mystery
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Found these tho tiny ashtrays last Sunday and was quite content to recognise Höglund - until I looked it up. All the Höglund ones I could find were round. Then my COH (clever other half) recognised the design: the town arms from Scheveningen and Voorburg, which together with The Hague form the Haaglanden.

Scheveningen - the fishing port of The Hague - has three herrings in its coat of arms, while Roman city Voorburg has a picture of the Roman castellum. The Hague itself (a stork on one leg) is missing - and there may have been a fourth, the lesser known Voorschoten.

Question is, were these commissioned from Boda, or from Holmegaard? Or should I be looking for Leerdam, who I dare say :-X quite mastered the art of inspired design?

Offline Daniel S

• Members
Re: Höglund inspired ashtrays - a mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
When Hoglund started at Boda they didnt manage to sell anything for a while. Then a  order camer from Holland(if I dont remember wrong). The order were for the small bowls or ashstrays similiar to yours. Nevertheless I dont think EH designed these.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:39:09 PM »
Fabulous information, thank you so much. So they may be as old as I am LOL

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
This style of ashtray was also made and sold at Plus Glasshytte in Norway in the 60-80ies- very popular.

Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:54:58 AM »
You don't give sizes in your post, but this looks ostensibly similar:

http://glashistoriskselskab.dk.server871186721.internet-server.dk/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=65&func=detail&id=3016

These designs may also hold some significance in Denmark - certainly three identical herrings make up the town of Rønne's coat of arms, famously used as a logo by Bornholm ceramics factory Michael Andersen.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:39:37 AM »
Thanks good sluithing and yes - very close to mine. Mine are quite a bit smaller, 6x6 not 9,5x9,5. Also the three herrings in combination with the Roman castellum suggest they were made for our local market. I guess we'll never know if they were made in Sweden, Denmark or Norway -  or locally.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 12:50:34 PM »
Fish version also made in two sizes, these two 6 x 6cm and 8.5 x 9cm.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »
Just had another look at Ivo's original photo and noticed some small differences in the shape of the fins, maybe these blue ones are later.

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
curio update. Officially the Scheveningen ones are crowned and swim right to left - the ones you caught swim left to right.  One more vote for Norwegian came in...

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:24:59 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand